Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Sunny's Reading Habits (Tag)

Thanks for tagging me Victoria!
A long long time ago (Oct. 2015), Victoria Grace Howell tagged me in the Day and Night Reading Tag. I saved the link ages ago, and only just saw it again today #bloggershame. Since I'm always interested in hearing about people's reading habits, I thought I would share mine via this tag. Be sure to check out Victoria's post on her blog, Wanderer's Pen, here.

Onto the questions!

Do you read more in the morning or at night?
I definetly read more at night than in the morning. I pretty much have a built in reading time right before I go to sleep at night. I am not a morning person, at all, so I can't really imagine reading a novel right after I wake up and before I start my day. The only time I read in the morning is if I need to read something for a class that I'm on my way to, haha. I do listen to audio-books when I take the bus to work and school, so if that counts than I do read in the morning.

Are there any books that changed the way you thought about things?
This is a tough question, because I feel like books do that all the time to me. I'm not going to go into detail here, because I want to write an entire post on this. However, I will center out a few:
A Year of Living Prayerfully by Jared Brock
The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
Some of these books made me think about life differently and some of them made me think about literature differently. Stay tuned for an entire post on this.


YA or not?
I think YA is great, and I've really enjoyed reading it.There's some really stellar stuff out there. A good story transcends age. But, right now I'm feeling a bit tired of the genre. I'm working on reading All the Bright Things by Jennifer Niven...and I'm having a hard time. It just feels really melodramatic, but I have high hopes for a good ending. Anyways, I'm starting to venture into more literary fiction in the Adult section *GASP*!

Are there any characters you honestly believe to be real?
Characters in books aren't real?! Obviously, I know characters aren't real, but sometimes they can feel so relatable. Recently I read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, and I feel in love with her main character Lou Clark. Lou is a young adult who doesn't quite know where she fits and has had a tough go at life. Although I'm not quite as directionless as Lou, she was just so down to Earth, yet quirky, that it felt like she could be one of my peers in real life.

Nobody borrows my books, or I don’t mind lending them out?
I love lending books out. I feel like I can extend my influence over people when they agree to borrowing books from me, haha. Lately, I've also been encouraging people to write in my books when they read them. I watched this video by Ariel Bissett and had my opinions on annotation changed forever.

Do you ever smell your books?
Sometimes. But sometimes I'm afraid to, haha.

Not everyone likes books. Is this a positive or a negative?
I try to be open-minded, but if someone says they don't like reading...well I immediately re-evaluate my opinion of them.

I keep my books in the best condition… or maybe not. Which are you?
I tend to keep my books in moderate condition. Ever since I've learned to sell my used books, I tend to be a bit more careful with a book, if I think it might be something I don't want to keep forever. With books I like, see the question on lending books.

Gosh, I have too many books! True or false?
False. Always false.

Have you ever spilled or stained your books before with something, and if so how?
Hmmm...nothing major comes to mind. I am guilty of crumbs in my books, but those usually can be brushed off. I did get a tea ring on my study Bible since I rested my mug on it during Bible-study, but that was a minor incident.

Toned or untoned while reading? In other words, do you read and work out at the same time?
Haha, no.
I do listen to audio books when I'm walking or taking the bus, if that counts, but I don't exactly "work-out."

If you paid close attention you'll notice that the first letter of each question spelled out "day and night" which gives the title to the tag. I just thought that was a super fun and kind of geeky detail. I want to hear your answers to these questions! Do a response post or leave your thoughts in the comments! And don't forget to check out Victoria's original post here.

Reading: All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Listening: Mumford and Sons
Watching: YouTube

18 comments:

  1. I'm definitely more of a morning person. Even if I don't sleep much, I can wake up late without feeling really tired. Like for example, I slept at around 3 am. I intended to sleep at 11pm but couldn't sleep for a couple of hours.

    I also think that YA is great but the cliché parts are quite irritating. And there's always... freakin' romance. That chiz doesn't happen in real life, fam.

    You've read Me Before You? WHAT?! I bought that book but I'm not going to read it until after my exams. A character I find real is India Perez from the Geek Girl series.

    I do lend my books out, but only if they take GOOD CARE as in leave no stains. And keeping my books in top-condition is what I try to do. Unless it's a school novel. Then that's just hard. But no stains, I hate stains.

    Have too many books? This is literally not true as I have about 16 books (excluding my Bibles).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know feeling exactly! I always try to go to bed early then don't end up sleeping until hours later.

      I've never read the Geek Girl series, but I have some friends who really enjoyed it. I'll have to look into it.

      You can never have too many books! It sounds like you need to beef up your collection, haha.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you did the tag and enjoyed it. ^ ^ It's cool to know more about your reading habits. High five for night owls as Souza from Agent Carter says, "The early bird don't got nothin' on the night owl." XD

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sorry it took me so long to do it!

      I totally agree; the early bird has nothin' on the night owl!

      Delete
  3. The House on Mango Street is actually my required reading book, and though I usually despise required reading, I'm glad it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks for motivating me to finally start my summer assignments! ;) I really enjoyed reading your answers and am really glad to be back on your blog this summer. I've missed blogging so much!
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, your welcome! I hope you enjoy HOMS as much as I did. My favourite vignette is the one called "Hairs."

      Glad to have you back! I look forward to reading your blog:)

      Delete
  4. I am definitely a night reader as opposed to a day reader. And I LOVE smelling old books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like smelling old books, but sometimes they don't smell so great, haha.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I'm definitely with you on night reading! I also like to lend out books, if I can—sharing is a good thing. :) Although, I do insist upon a relatively small radius of lending. If you want something to borrow for a week or two at your house, fine, but give it back before you go on that trip to Iceland. Lovely answers to the tag, Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharing is caring! You radius rule makes a lot of sense, maybe something that I should adapt:)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. I actually love reading in the morning! I usually read at night, because of school, and I love it too, but reading in the morning is a great way to start off a day where you don't really feel like going for a jog, or you know... moving. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is such a great way to start the day! I'm just waaaaay to lazy to pursue it regularly, haha. When I have done it, I've enjoyed it:)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time was a good book omg, my friend recommended it for me so I bought it pretty much straight away and did not regret doing so. And I think that everyone who's read the Harry Potter series can say that it changed something about them in some way.

    All The Bright Places is awesome omg, along with Mumford and Sons - you have great taste!

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Amy! Mumford and Sons is a definite favourite of mine.

      Curious Incident is a great book! I read it for school and it transformed how I thought about autism affecting someone's life. Glad to see that you liked it too!

      Delete
  8. "Do you work out while reading?" Ha. Ha. HAHAHAHA.

    I enjoyed reading this! I really want to read Me Before You. I loooved The Curious Incident, of course. Also Mumford <333

    PS Thanks for the Twitter shout out! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a good laugh at that question too, haha. I'm glad you enjoyed this post! Mumford and Sons is great; always happy to find another fan.

      Your post totally earned that shoutout, so you're totally welcome!

      Delete
  9. I do love this tag. Also you've just reminded me that I haven't done it myself yet, even though I've been tagged for it. I'd better get on that at once! Also that question, too many books. Is there any other answer for it than 'NO!'? I feel that if you love books, you can never, ever have too many. Loved your answers for this. It's so interesting to see how different people answer these questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Do it! Do it! I can't wait to see your answers!

      Of course you can never have to many books. I'm glad you enjoyed this:)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...