Friday, February 12, 2016

In which I talk about Pie and come up with no Solution

I tend to have my fingers in a lot of different pies.

Let me explain that strange statement. I like to do a lot of different things and I have a lot of different hobbies. I (obviously) like to blog, I like to write creatively, I like to take pictures, I like to paint, I like to read, I like learning about computer-y stuff, I like history. I like learning. And these interests translate into pies (aka work, school, and volunteer commitments) that I've "put my fingers in". I like to think of myself as a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none. I'm interested in a lot of different things, and I pursue a lot of different things, but I'm not really a master of any of my crafts. I know how to do a lot of different things well, not excellent, but well. And I'm okay with that.


My "happy problem" as I've been calling it, is that all of these commitments are starting to crowd up against each other leaving me with very little time to pursue my creative writing. The natural response would be to let a commitment go, but the problem is that I love everything I do. I LOVE ALL MY PIES! That's why I'm calling this a happy problem.

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about this over the past few weeks and it all came to a head when I was listening to one of my classmates talk about the novel she's working on. She read me a bit and it's some seriously good work. Like real, adult writing that was four drafts deep. Not the fantasy story that you mess around with in a Word Document. This was real, award winning (not just figuratively, she actually won an award) creative writing that was going places.

I was a teeny bit jealous. I was inspired by what she had accomplished. And I asked myself, why isn't this me? Could this be me? Could I take my writing seriously, like she had, and go somewhere with it? 

I'd like to say that I could. But I also really love pie.

Reading: Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
Listening: Switchfoot, Hello Hurricane 
Watching: The Shannara Chronicles

18 comments:

  1. Sunny, I'm getting worried that you're thinking about stopping blogging. WHICH YOU CANNOT, BY THE WAY. (Then again, if you need to, you need to.) Anywho, I wish you the best of luck with your novel (and photography and reading and computer-y stuff and history and learning).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha don't worry! Blogging is a top priority for me. It's way too fulfilling to stop now.

      Your comment honestly made me so happy though. Thank you for not wanting me to quit!

      Delete
  2. Um, yes. Just yes. I feel like this accurately describes me as well. Haha, I just really love ALL of my pies too! I feel like I have to specifically put time away for certain things like writing if I ever want to get anything done. Good luck with everything, Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone! I feel like you hit the nail on the head by saying that you have to specifically put time away to get things done. I really should do more of that:)

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you! There are so many things I want to do, yet I can't seem to choose one when I actually have time... (and I also get totally jealous of people who finish perfect drafts of things.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm pretty much the same, I have a lot of things I really enjoy doing and am decently good at, but because of it I spread myself too thin and end up making little progress at all. I like your analogy of pies though and I think I must use it in the future.
    I admit though, other than simple determination and tunnel vision set on a project, I can't really think of a good solution for your pies situation at this current time. If you ever come up with a substantial one, please do let me know! Because I would desperately like to try it :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to take my pie analogy (I probably stole it from someone else at some point:P). I this is one of those problems that isn't a simple fix and I posted this to express some of that tension. Although, tunnel vision sounds like a really good option, tehe.

      Thanks for visiting SOI!

      Delete
  5. your currently listening is on point. I love Switchfoot <3

    princessfaithm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Switchfoot is great! They're a bit of an older band, but some of their stuff still pulls at my heart strings:)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Well, you can be assured that you aren't the only one, Sunny. I think a lot of people feel this way, including me. *hugs* You got this, girl <3

    (also: SWITCHFOOT!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for the encouragement. Always happy to see I'm not the only one:)

      And yes, SWITCHFOOT! A staple in my iTunes library!

      Delete
  7. I kind of know the feeling of being torn between different things. I certainly don't have my fingers in as many pies as you do--and it's rather impressive how much you're accomplishing, as having that much going on would overwhelm me (and has!). But despite that, I've found myself pulled in different directions before. For instance, I enjoyed my college classes last year, but at the same time I also wanted to write and blog, and I knew I couldn't do everything but had some trouble settling on just one focus. The main difference between me and you, though, at least based on this blog post, is that you seem to enjoy spreading your attention among many different things, whereas when I do it I just feel stretched thin and directionless.

    Basically, I guess what I'm trying to say is that choosing a focus is super hard, but I think when it's time for you to settle on one thing, you'll know it. And until then, I'd say you might as well enjoy all those pies while you're here, am I right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Accomplishing" is a subjective word in this case, tehe.

      I'm certainly enjoying all of my pies, but I'm hoping to find the right one soon!

      Delete
  8. I also have a lot of interests. I have to prioritize a bunch, so I can increase the skill in those like focusing on those stats in a video game. XD I do like having my hands in a lot of pies as well. XD

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prioritizing is good. I should do it more often, haha.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  9. Interesting question! Last year I decided to prioritise the writing pie. I spent a couple of years thinking that I might go to art school, but in 2015 I realised this was not the case. English Lit, books and writing are, collectively, my #1.

    But art is still very important in my life.

    It's a tension.

    Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share that tension with art. I never really thought that I would pursue it at a post-secondary level, but it definitely took up my free time.

      The tension is real! Thanks for sharing you feel it too:)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...