Sunday, January 17, 2016

Story Drawings and Other Ways my Friends Helped Me

Over the Christmas break I made my way to Ikea and bought myself a new desk (which I love). After I went through the way-too-long process of building my new desk, I went through the even-longer process of cleaning out my old desk. It's amazing how much crap stuff I had accumulated. Most of it went into the trash, but I found something that certainly was not trash. 

I found an envelope that had over 25 pictures that my friend Rachel from Secret Scribblings had drawn for me. These pictures were all of characters that I had created for the first story that I ever wrote (and finished!). The story may not have been top-notch quality, but Rachel read every bit of it and gave me generally positive feedback. Part of her support for my writing was drawing these literal character sketches. I almost (and I mean almost) feel bad for abandoning that story. Regardless of the fate of that story, these pictures are too good to go to waste!


 Just look at them all! They're so amazing and colourful! You should totally click to enlarge the photo and take a good look at all of them individually. 


These are three of my favourites. I just love the expressions and the way Rach caught them in the middle of action. Let's see if I can remember each of them. The first one was a librarian in a castle that was very smart, but a bit bumbly. The second one is Mortimer, the MC's dad and king (obviously my MC was a princess). Annnd the third one is Seamus, who was a castle guard to teaches the MC to fight...or possibly her brother. It's amazing how something that was so important to me at one point has become so faded from memory.

Okay, so this post is mostly an excuse to share these photos, but I did want to touch on how important my friends were to developing my (still somewhat shaky) identity as a writer. I've never totally been 100% open about calling myself a writer or a blogger, especially when I was a young teen. I don't know if it's because I thought people wouldn't take me seriously or if I was just shy. Whatever the reason, I was going to get any affirmation from adults that I was a good writer, because they didn't know!

The only way that I gain confidence something is when someone tells me I'm good at it. This might sound a little dependent on others, but when you think about it, it's the truth. We might recognize a spark of talent within ourselves, but we don't truly believe it until someone else says it. I did share my writing with my friends, because they were safe (not like scary adults, tehe). My friends, Rachel included, helped give me that affirmation that I needed, even if my writing wasn't really that good. I'll always be grateful that they gave me that encouragement that I needed as a young writer.

No matter how old you are, when someone shares their writing, it's so important that we encourage them. My friends' kind words were what helped me want to become the writer that I am today. Have you had good experiences with encouragement from friends? Bad ones? Do you have story drawings? Tell me all about it in the comments!

Reading: The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
Listening: Alabama Shakes
Watching: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings (extended edition) #sendhelp

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these are amazing! That's awesome that your friend did that. I love the expressions :)

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She's so talented! The expressions are the best!

      Delete
  2. Those are beautiful! I. cannot. draw. But I also have a friend who can, and she is willing to help me out on some drawings I had in mind for a WIP, so I totally know what you mean. That kind of support means so much. Thank goodness for good friends!
    Thanks for sharing, Sunny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful that my friends are good at things that I'm not so good at:) I'm glad you have a similar friend in your life!

      Your totally welcome. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Awww that's such a lovely thing to have! Now I'm all nostalgic. What a wonderful thing to have two friends share. The sketches are actually so cool and colourful!
    I gotta go hug my friends now cause life is always better with friend <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been cleaning lately and find things that I'm SO nostalgic. I'm not even that old!

      Life is always better with a friend. So true.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. AWWW SUNNY. <3 <3 X) I totally forgot about drawing most of these!! XD I only really remembered Enrique, Morgan, the pirate-y guy, the...prince (far right, second row down)? and Pheonix. XD Good times, good times. Looking at these, I have to say Benji (old scribe guy in your top 3) is my favorite. And OMG SEAMUS AHAHA DO YOU REMEMBER THAT ONE STORY I WROTE SET IN YOUR WORLD? That's where Pheonix came in, too. XD XD Ohhhhh dear. I'll reach that story eventually in my "Book List" series. XD Anyway, I love ya, girl! And I loved drawing those pics for you! It was a lot of fun. X)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about receiving most of these, haha! So many good times! BENJI! His name is Benji! I had totally forgotten!

      I can't wait to read the Phoenix story on your blog!

      Love ya too! Thanks again for being awesome!

      Delete
    2. LOL I only knew bc it's written in the top left corner. I had to zoom in to see it. XD XD

      Delete
  5. Wow, these are so amazing! It was so nice of your friend to draw all of those for you.

    I totally agree, writers/artists need to share their work at one point or another, whether it's for feedback or encouragement or whatever. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she's so great! It can be hard to share your work, but I agree; feedback is so useful!

      Delete
  6. Aw this is the BEST and the sweetest!! And I totally know what you mean about kind of needing someone to tell you you're good at it too. Me absolutely yes. I don't think it's too dependant or unhealthy? I mean, we need feedback to hone our craft. But we also need encouragement! I'm 1000% in the opinion that ALL writers should have a fangirl squad. XD Separate to their critique squad. heheh. *ahem*

    When I was first writing (omg horrendous stories HORRENDOUS) I had a best friend who read EVERYTHING and fangirled about it and omg it kept me so motivated and writing hard and I don't know if I'd be where I am without her encouragement. <3 YAY FOR GOOD FRIENDS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY FOR GOOD FRIENDS!!! I love your term "fangirl squad". It's so accurate. Every writer needs a fangirl squad!

      Delete
  7. Aw this is so cool! I've had some people draw my characters for me and it's one of the most encouraging things in the world. I'm the same way. I don't feel good at it unless someone outside of me or my family recognizes that I'm good at it. I've fortunately experienced some great experience from friends which I've really needed lately. Whoop whoop for LOTR! :D

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you specified that it has to be someone outside of your family that recognizes your talent, haha. Family is great, but they're a bit biased.

      I'm so glad that you've been encouraged by your friends. It is literally the best thing.

      Delete
  8. That is a lot of characters, they are all amazing! Can I steal Rachel? (Not that I have any written novel/WIP so). And so what if it is not top-notch? You at least FINISHED! And I'm sure you'll go back to it someday in the future! (Also 25 characters is a lot! Wow!)

    I'm glad she gave you confidence in your writing. I have a lot of support from my blogger friends on Twitter, but not so much with friends and family in real life. My dad reads my blog though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many characters! Looking back I think that amount of characters is crazy. And no, you can't steal Rachel, haha:P

      I think it's so cool that your dad reads your blog! I don't think my Dad even knows what a blog is, tehe.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...