Monday, December 21, 2015

Plaid, Sparkles and Hot-Glue: Christmas Bookshelf


I love Christmas decorating, so it's only natural that my decorating extends to my bookshelf. This year I went for a more low key design; most of the decorations can stay up past Christmas. Since it took me so long get everything up this year, it would be a shame to take it down in only a week! If you're running behind like me, but would still like to enjoy some Christmas spirit surrounding your books, maybe this will inspire you!

The easiest way to Christmas-fy your bookshelf is to fill picture frames with Christmas things. This is especially easy if you already have picture frames on your shelf. If you don't, you can always find some on the cheap at a thrift store or just lean the cards up against your shelf. In my frames I used a piece of plaid fabric that I cut from a plaid skirt that I found at the thrift store. If you're looking for plaid fabric to decorate with, a little (haha, pun intended) tip is to look in the children's section because those clothes are generally cheaper. I also used some old greeting cards that we received last year, or you guessed it, that I found at the thrift store. 


This is another simple decoration that anyone can make. This is a book tree! You could use all green books, but I didn't have enough that were the right shape. I just piled up the books I did have of varying lengths to create the triangle shape and then "trimmed" it with some thin red ribbon and silver balls. I found these little balls at the dollar store and they had a wire sticking out of them, so I just wedged them in between the books. On the top I used an angel ornament, but you could also balance a book upright if you don't have an angel or a star ornament. Underneath the ornament you'll notice that I used some more of the plaid fabric. I couldn't find a book small enough to complete the tree, so I just covered an old pill box with the plaid skirt. 


 Here's a few other decorations that were scattered through my shelf. It's extremely easy to just litter everything bows, so that's what I did in the first photo. It's much harder to actually make a nice looking bow, so be sure to put your Youtubing skills to work to learn. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to get my bow looking perky, but I managed in the end.

Look, it's more plaid in the last picture! For this decoration I just found a stick outside and hot-glued a fake bird I got from the dollar store to it. It's hard to see, but I also added some glitter sprinkled in the hot-glue on the branch to look like snow, incredibly fake, sparkly snow, but still snow.


 I used that same hot-glue glitter snow technique to create this snowflakes on book pages that I just taped up to the wall by my plants.
 This is my attempt at some more rustic decorating. I bought these pine cones, but you can easily find them outside if you live in the right region. I used some glitter on them (although it's hard to see) and then hot-glued some plaid (again) ribbon to hand them. I tucked the ribbons under knick-knacks on the top of my shelf and varied the lengths to create some visual interest.


This final picture shows an ornament that I found at our local nursery that I attached to the shelf using some sticky-tack instead of hanging it. I really liked the sparkles and typographical simplicity of it.

No matter how late you are, it's still so much fun to bring the Christmas cheer into your bookshelf. You can see that I have a particular liking for plaid, sparkles and hot-gun, but you can customize it however you'd like. Hopefully these somewhat easy, decor options have inspired all those last minute people like me to throw something together for the season! Have you decorated your bookshelf for Christmas? Are you ready for Christmas? Let me know all your thoughts in the comments and feel free to tweet me (@Sunny_Smith9) any pictures of your decorations!

Reading: 1000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp
Listening: Christmas music
Watching: All the vlogmas vlogs on Youtube

12 comments:

  1. Wow, you really get into decorating! That's awesome. The decorations look lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I kind love Christmas, so it tends to explode everywhere, haha. All the other seasons I tend to be much more lazy!

      Delete
  2. Ohh this is PRETTY. I barely ever decorate. XD I mean, we put up a tree as a family and things, but my room? Bleh. I'm like a grinch basically. Although I DO have Christmas lights over my bookshelves and though I forget to put them on every night, I still love it. :')
    I love your pinecone and snowflakes so so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're half-way there with the lights! I never decorated my personal space growing up, but since I spend so much time in my bedroom, I started doing it a few years ago.

      Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  3. Wow, your decorations look really professional! Neat work, they look awesome and festive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks! Luckily I can hide any imperfections with the pictures, haha.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Wow, these are so pretty! I adore that tree book thing and you can really tell that you put a lot of thought into these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you liked them! I put them up gradually over the month of December, and made small adjustments as the weeks went by. Originally the book tree didn't have any "trimmings" but I'm so glad I added them later.

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  5. I hadn't even thought of decorating my bookshelf for Christmas. XD Mine's in an off to the side place so you can't see it too well unless you just look through my door. XD These are really cute and pretty!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it before either, but one year it hit me! I've never looked back, haha. Thanks for the kind words; I'm glad you liked it! Maybe next year will be your bookshelf decorating beginning, haha.

      Delete
  6. Your Christmas decorations are so cool! I only had this strong of snowman-shaped lanterns on my bookshelf and it came crashing down in the middle of the night. I have never been so scared in my life :P

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! One time I hung a floating shelf very poorly and I too had that terrifying experience of it coming crashing down in the middle of the night.

      I think these ornaments should be pretty safe though!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...