Thursday, December 24, 2015

Book Inspired Christmas Ornaments


 This is going to be a short and sweet post, but I wanted to share some last minute ideas for DIY ornaments that you can gift to your favourite book-lover (or yourself. Let's be real, probably yourself). I know that at this point you've put your crafting skills away and are simply enjoying time with your family, but I wanted to squeeze in one last Christmas themed post. My sister and I had a grand time making these, so I hope you enjoy!

 This first one is a little Christmas tree covered in book pages. First we cut out a tree shape from a piece of cardboard and then we torn up strips of book-pages from an old book. We then proceeded to cover the cardboard with the strips using white glue. To give it a finished look, be sure to fold the pages over the edges of the cardboard. The final glitter step is optional, but since we love glitter so much, we decided to outline the trees with a bit of green glitter. The final step is to hot-glue a piece of twine to hang the ornament.

These next two are Harry Potter inspired. This one is a snitch! It's so iconic and easy to make. Everyone who's been in our house knew right away what it was. The base of this one is a styrofoam ball with a gold twine wrapped around it. You could always paint it, but I liked the texture the twine gave it. A little tip when you're wrapping the twine: keep your hotglue handy and periodically glue down the twine as you go to keep everything in place. For the wings we used a sparkly white foam that we found at the dollar store. You can use anything that's white and sturdy though. After we cut them out we hot-glued them to the ball and our snitch was almost done. The last step was to hang it with fishing line. We chose to dig onto my Dad's tackle box because the clear line makes it look like it's flying (because obviously we are going for realism here)!

This flying key was my sisters brain child. It's less iconic than the snitch, but is featured in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, I believe. If my HP knowledge is correct, they were part of the challenges to get to the stone in the first book. This was made out of the same sparkly foam that we used for the wings of snitch. It is also hung on fishing line to get that "flying effect".

This last ornament does not feature book pages or books (well, I guess it kind of features the Bible, but I know that's stretching it...haha). However, I wanted to include this to give you an idea of what could be done. Instead of using that funky red paper that I used, you could use book pages instead! I just glued the paper down to a canvas board and then hot-glued some twine to back and tada, ornament/plague/really thick card if you write on the back!

And that's all she wrote, literally. Do you have any book themed ornaments on your Christmas tree, DIY or store-bought? Like these ideas? Think they're terribly silly? Let me know in the comments!

Reading: One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
Listening: A Fine Frenzy
Watching: The Christmas gifts start to accumulate under the tree.

9 comments:

  1. These ornaments are so nice! Still can't believe you made those :)
    I've always wanted to make book-themed ornaments. This is such a great idea. I really should go out and buy some...

    Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too! Thanks for your kind words. We really enjoy making ornaments; you should definitely give it a go next year!

      Delete
  2. What cute ornaments! That book page tree is adorable, and of course anything Harry Potter themed catches my eye. ;) You're right, the flying keys were in the Sorcerer's (er, Philosopher's) Stone, and yours came out great--they look so similar to the ones in the movie!

    I hope you've had a lovely holiday season and a very Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything HP themed catches MY eye too! I don't know if I'd say the key turned out great (that sparkly foam isn't always the easiest), but thank you for saying so, haha.

      Thank you! I hope you had a great holiday as well:)

      Delete
  3. These are some neat ideas! I may have to try these next year!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should totally tweet me if you do make them next year:)

      Delete
  4. Wow, these are really cute! I think my favorite is the Christmas tree, even though I don't have any books I would sacrifice to make it, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You just have to go to the thrift store and buy the cheapest one you can. I think I might be a bit abnormal, because I somehow end up with waaaay too many books for craft projects.

      Delete
  5. I love these! You've given me some ideas for next Christmas. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...