Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Blogger Spotlight: Victoria Jackson from The Endless Oceans of My Mind

It's the last Wednesday of the month, so that means it's time for another blogger spotlight! It feels like these are all that I've been posting the past few months (and the only stable thing on SOI), but as soon as the semester is done that will all change! Anyways, let me introduce Victoria Jackson from The Endless Oceans of my Mind. I'm so happy to be hosting Victoria here today, and I'm especially partial to her because she shares my Canadian identity (although her's is a bit more complex as you will see)! Onto the interview!


Where do you blog and what is your blog about?
I blog at The Endless Oceans of my Mind. It's where I can talk and not get interrupted about the things that mean a lot to me, like reading, writing, movies and all the weirdness and awesomeness that comes with moving halfway across the world. I'd describe it as a travel/stories blog with a fair amount of randomness (and Spider-Man (and brackets)) thrown in.

What got you started with blogging?
Well, I've been writing for several years and learned why people say that writing is a lonely hobby. I really wanted to connect with other readers and writers and blogging seemed like a pretty good way to do it. 

After moving, I quickly became fascinated with the cultural differences between Canada and Australia. There's a lot of obvious things, such as the slang, and some not-so obvious things such as the store Coles. In Canada/the US, it's a book store and here it's a grocery store so I'm constantly getting those confused. I like to talk about culture a lot, so naturally I had to include it in my blog. Plus it's always interesting to hear about different perspectives to mine. 

What is your motivation to blog?
I adore stories of all kinds and it's great to talk to people who have the same interests as me. It's also great because so much of writing and the process of moving is like shouting into a dark, empty void. With blogging, the void is quite a bit less empty, and you get to hear everyone else shouting too.

What is your biggest challenge/fear when it comes to blogging and how do you overcome it?
My biggest fear was that I wasn't good enough, and as a result no one would listen to what I had to say. I suppose it's a fear that most writers have at one point or another (or most of the time, for some of us). The way I dealt with it was to just take a deep breath and plunge right into it. I really had to trust myself, and I found that there were lots of incredibly lovely bloggers out there who were really supportive and caring. 

What is your biggest reward from blogging?
My biggest reward from blogging is comments. I love it when I can interact with someone on either their blog or mine and get into a good discussion about culture or a story.

And to end the interview off on a fun note, what is one random or interesting fact about yourself?
My favourite artist is Owl City. I adore his music and especially his lyrics. Just. Plain. Beautiful.

Victoria, thank you so much for being a part of this series! Be sure to check out her blog The Endless Oceans of My Mind  and show her some love. If you have any questions for Victoria, please feel free to leave them in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. I very much enjoy Victoria's blog! I really like the multi-cultural perspective she brings to her blog and I also very much appreciate her ability to so willingly interact within the blogosphere. Also, I love Owl City too. Adam is le best. :D Thanks for interviewing, Sunny, and it's nice to see you here, Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Commenting is so much fun :) and thanks for always taking time to comment on my blog! (And yes, Adam is amazing!)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for having me, Sunny! I had a lot of fun answering the questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I really enjoyed having you:)

      Delete
  3. Lovely interview! We're all very glad you took the leap to blogging, Victoria! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...