Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Joy of Summer Reading

I love to read, and I am always reading a book. It's rare for a day to pass without me opening a book and settling in to read, even if it's only two pages before bed. There's always a book on my night table (or floor beside by bed or purse or desk or car...) and I'm always working my way through a story.

Throughout the school year my reading "sessions" are very limited due to limited time. I might only get through five or six pages in one sitting. It might take me twenty or thirty sittings to finish a book. I'm used to reading this way, and I never really took note of it until this past weekend.

For us Canadians, we had a long weekend (no work, yay!), so naturally my family packed up our mini van and headed to our family's cottage. It was a vacation away from the electronics of life as there was no internet and iffy cell service. Being bookwormish, my solution was to pack a few books for the trip. After the appropriate amount of socializing, I spent most of my weekend sitting on the deck (or laying in bed) reading. I spent hours just reading, with no interruptions. I can't remember the last time I did that.

I burned through Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson in maximum three sittings. Reading that book was a totally different experience from how I normally read. I'm used to returning to a book and being forced to re-aquatint myself with the characters every time I return. By the time I'm familiar again, I can't keep my eyes open to read any more. With Epic Detour, the time in between readings was so minimal that it was easy to slip back into the story each time. I had the time to really loose myself in the story.

I realized that being able to read a book cover-to-cover in as little sittings as possible is the best way to appreciate the story. Unfortunately, that is not a luxury that is available all year around. As much as I'd like to lay in bed and read my days away, I'm glad that I can't, because it makes reading in the summer holidays so much sweeter.

Reading in more sittings gives you a chance to really think about the themes and the art of the novel, but the beauty of summer reading is that you can escape reality for a few solid hours. 

I know this is a shorter post, but I felt like I had to share my new-found appreciation for summer reading. Have you had a chance to do some good summer reading? What are your reading habits like? Let me know what you think in the comments!

Reading: Changeless by Gail Carriger
Listening: Rend Collective
Watching: The Unpopular Opinions book tags on Youtube

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to have some quality reading time! I'm kept busy with school, so a lot of my reading time is while I'm eating breakfast. *shrugs* It's not a great system but when I'm on a time schedule...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works for you, works for you! I often read over lunch and it's great!

      Delete
  2. Huh, it sounds like it's a tricky novel to read! Still, it's good that it's giving you the chance to appreciate things you might not normally appreciate about a book and enjoy it! That's one of my favorite parts about reading, summer or otherwise, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Epic Detour was a really great book and an easy read. It's sometimes tricky to find the time to read though. I'm always grateful for any time I can find to read:)

      Delete
  3. Yes, I so agree with this! Unfortunately I've not had the chance to do much summer reading this year, but there've been a few times, mostly journeys, that've been great. I love long train journeys -- I read the majority of The Cuckoo's Calling on journeys to and from London at the end of May and it was a joy! I also read most of The Amulet of Sarmakand in the car to and from Shropshire a couple of weeks ago, and honestly, I enjoyed the book so much more in those long stretches than when I finished it, in short sittings, over the next couple of days.

    Illness is actually another great time for reading, if it's not too bad. I reread the first three Percy Jacksons and first three Roman Mysteries in about a week in May when I had tonsillitis, and over the past couple of days I've finished A Farewell to Arms (a stunning book) lying in bed with a cough/cold. Illness definitely has its upside!

    Anyway, Sunny, I've been away for a bit and busy with various things but I hope you're well. This was a lovely post with which to dive back into your blog! Also the photo is gorgeous; I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo! I really enjoyed the Cuckoo's Calling (very appropriate where you read it) and I recommend the next book because it just gets better.

      Illness is another bittersweet time for reading. I didn't even think of that! Good call!

      Thanks so much for the nice words. It's always good to see you back:)

      Delete
  4. Happy long weekend :) Enjoying it myself <3
    I definitely agree with you. I love being able to spend my afternoon reading, so I can read my books in as little sittings as possible. When there's school, I'll maybe spend half an hour at night reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LONG WEEKENDS ARE THE BEST!! There's nothing like reading the afternoon away on that stolen Monday, haha.

      When I'm in school I read quite a bit, but just not the books I want to be reading:P

      Delete
  5. This is so relatable, though, Sunny! xx
    I definitely feel you. My school restarts next week, and I am not looking forward to it.
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, so soon?! Good luck! Hope it grows on you a little bit:)

      Delete
  6. Summer reading is the best. I do try to make time to read year round, but it's still such a treat to find the time to read a book in just a sitting or two! (And to find a book that you want to read in just a sitting or two.)

    Glad you had a nice weekend!

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, finding a book that I actually WANT to read that quickly is a very important part of the equation! It's not enjoyable to spend hours with a book that's boring, haha.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. My reading habits are pretty terrible at the moment. I used to have long hours to spend reading, where I'd read a book or two at once. I don't have as much time thanks to uni, but my habits have stayed the same, so I don't actually read as much as I want to, because I keep waiting for time to read more than a few pages, and that doesn't come often. But I'm definitely with you. The best way to enjoy a book is to read it in as few sittings as humanly possible. I think it's because you can really become immersed in the story and don't have to worry about remembering important details over a period of days. Oh for more days suitable for long reading sessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand where you're coming from. Once I go back to University in the fall, my reading time is going to go way down. I'm not the best at remembering important details in any case, so it's easier for me to read in fewer sittings.

      To quote you "Oh for more days suitable for long reading sessions".

      Delete
  8. So first of all, I love the idea that your family has a cottage. It sounds like such a lovely thing, to have a home away from home where you can go for a few days' vacation--and it sounds like you had a wonderful time there recently! I'm so glad you enjoyed your holiday reading. :) I used to do a lot of those longer reading sessions, even earlier this year--it was a common thing for me to blow through a book in just a few days, because I'd sit down and read for solid chunks of time--but since I've started working I've been reading more in spurts, like you do. It's not bad, except that I took out a lot of books at once from the library and I don't think I'll have time to finish them all before they're due back!

    Anyway, even though you're back home and probably back to reading in spurts, I hope you enjoy whatever you're reading now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so grateful that people in my family are fortunate enough to have a cottage and that they're nice enough to let us use it:)

      I am back to reading in spurts, but reading is reading and it's still great!

      Delete
  9. I love the summer and long weekends because they're the absolutely perfect time to grab a book and read it completely through. You're totally right: reading the book all the way through in as few sittings as possible is great to really appreciate the story (especially the pacing!).

    But I also agree with you that when you read in many, many sittings, you get to really spend a lot more time thinking about the themes and the characters.

    I read a lot over the summer (average of three-four books a week sometimes). *sighs* Unfortunately it's a bit harder with school starting, but the plus side there is the required readings (I'm reading Charles Dickens!).

    I'm so glad yo were able to find time to read, Sunny! And it's amazing that ya'll have a place to go to simply get away from everything. Too many people take unplugging and no-cell-service for granted, but it's an amazing way to unwind and relax :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice long comment! Thanks so much for sharing:)

      I have a love hate relationship with required readings. I love that I'm forced to try new things, but sometimes those books are just not my cup of tea. As an English major, I'm very familiar with reading books that I don't particularly want to read, haha. Good luck with Dickens!

      I'm so grateful to have family members who allow us to unwind at their cottages:)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...