Saturday, February 28, 2015

What Kinds of Blogs Do You Read?

 I write a book blog (and I use that term loosely), so naturally I read other book blogs. And for a long time I only ever read other blogs like mine. But slowly -I don't even really know when it happened- my feed became a mixture of blog genres.

In between the posts on book reviews, there are outfit of the day posts, inspirational life anecdotes, posts about weddings, posts about studio photography, fashion photography, lifestyle posts, decorating posts and graphic design posts.

Personally, I feel that my blogging life has been enriched since I have started to read blogs outside of my niche. I've been doing some thinking and here's why I think variety really is the spice of my blogging life.

I read blogs outside of my niche because I want to read them. I read blogs outside of my niche because it's fun.

 Not because I want to be part of the blog-o-sphere community. Not because I'm returning support to bloggers that so generously support my blogs. Not because I'm hunting for new followers. Not because I'm trying to generate traffic to my blog. Not because I feel obligated to.

Reading blogs outside of my niche brings me back to that initial joy I felt as a new blogger. I'm reading blogs because I'm genuinely interested in the content. I have other interests beyond books (*GASP*), and this gives me a chance to explore those. I know that the writer probably has no interest in my book blog, and that's okay! I'm not thinking about the "business" of blogging (which isn't bad per se). It refuels my blogging engines and reminds me why I loved the medium of blogging in the first place.

Reading blogs outside of my niche helps me be more creative. I love seeing beautiful things. It's inspiring to read a beautifully written account of someone's life or see some beautiful photography. It feeds my right brain.

Reading blogs outside of my niche helps me be a better blogger. I really enjoy seeing how non-book bloggers layout their posts and blogs. I've gotten so many ideas on blog layout and design from other lifestyle blogs. When I see how other non-book bloggers run their blogs, I feel like I can bring new ideas to the book blogging community.

All that being said, I do enjoy reading book blogs. All you book bloggers are great. I never even have to think about which book I want to read next. And I love seeing all your rants and book crushes. I like reading about reading. But I've found venturing out in the blog-o-sphere has augmented my blogging experience, and I encourage you all to try it.

If you don't know where to start, I complied this little graphic:


Click to explore!
What are your favourite non-book blogs?

Reading: The Children's Crusade by Gary DicksonImage Map
Listening: Sound of Music soundtrack
Watching: Gilmore Girls

10 comments:

  1. I don't think I've read any blogs outside of book blogging, other than my best friend's, but I would love to read other blogs, I just have trouble finding the ones I like. Thanks for leaving links! I'll check them out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people have trouble finding blogs that outside of their niche, which is why I wanted to write this post! So glad that it helped:)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I relate to this post so much. Actually, for me, when I first started blogging, I was a doll blogger. I posted about 18" dolls, and occasionally still do ;), but I've broadened the blogs I view to so many. I created my own lifestyle blog, simply because that's what brought me joy. I didn't want to be confined to only one thing. Some of those blogs you mentioned up there are some of my favorites to read. Great post :)


    - Autumn
    http://autumnreadsandwritesallday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A doll blogger? That's really interesting! I've never heard of that before. I went through a period of transition on my blog as well. I wanted to write about more than just writing, so I expanded to talk about anything bookish. It's such a relief to find that blogging joy again:)

      Thanks for stopping by A Splash of Ink!

      Delete
  3. Even though I'm more of a book blogger, I still read tons of blog posts outside of my niche. Like you, I read for content, and I have so many hobbies, so I love finding blogs pertaining to those hobbies. I especially love blogs about writing, running, and any blog that involves really pretty photos (bonus points if the photos involve food).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that hear that there's someone else who reads other types of blogs out there! I too am drawn to any blog that has really pretty photos. Sometimes I follow even if I don't care about the content, just for the eye candy, haha.

      Delete
  4. I don't read a lot of non-book-blogs, but I agree! SO MUCH AWESOME OUT THERE! I don't like limiting myself to just my niceh. *nods* I love Planet Lydia. She is my favourite person of the universe, hehe. And I read a few art/life type blogs. I want to find some more photography blogs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! There is so much awesome out there!

      Usually when you find one photography blog, you find others attached to it. I like to use the Bloglovin' explore tab to find totally new blogs.

      Delete
  5. This is such a great post! When I first started blogging, I didn't realise there was a world outside the life style bloggers, but now I find I'm reading more and more different blogs. I'm finding that as I read different kinds of blogs, my niche changes slightly. Turning into more of what I want to write about. Reading other blogs helps me find out more about myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spend a ton of time on book/writing blogs, and it's crazy how that works out. Still, I really enjoy reading other blogs—I think my favorite is Avoiding Atrophy, a lifestyle blog by a standup comedian. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...