Sunday, January 4, 2015

Keeping Track of Your Ideas in 2015

Happy New Year! 
I took a small break for the festivities, but now I'm back! I was going to do a recap of 2014, then I looked at my Bloglovin' feed and realized that just about everybody was writing that post. So you'll get my year recap when I write SOI's anniversary post in February! By then, the reflect/look forward posts will have died down (I hope!).

That being said, this post was inspired by a resolution goal that I have for 2015. I want to do a better job of keeping track of my writing ideas. Whether it be blog post ideas, fiction ideas or even essay ideas, I want to keep track of them. Way too often I come up with a good idea, and if I bother to write it down at all, the slip of paper gets lost. I feel like I've lost quite a few good ideas lately.
My solution?

I was inspired when I went to an author talk a few months ago. This author said that he writes all of his ideas down and then stores them in a recipe card box. He said that some of his recently published stories where from ideas that he had written down ten years ago- ideas that he wrote down while he was busy with other projects. This method of storing ideas works so well, because it is a way to validate those tangent ideas that you get when working on a long piece.

So I went on a hunt for a recipe card box at some of my local thrift stores. This is what I found:
It's ugly, I know. But it was perfect for my little idea saver. It's not a recipe card holder exactly, but it's a receipt holder which is the same concept. I did a little DIY and covered the ugly fruit design with book pages! Here's the finished result:
Excuse the binder clips that I shoved in the pockets to make it stick out a bit more for the picture.
This is the perfect design. It's portable if I need it to be and has lots of different pockets. Right now I don't really have my ideas sorted into different sections, but I'm sure my OCD will kick in and I'll subdivide them.

I know there's a ton of different methods for keeping track of ideas out there. What do you do? I'm really curious to hear how other people do it. Did the recipe card holder inspire you as much as it inspired me? Are you excited for 2015? Let me know in the comments!

Reading: Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas (!!!!!)
Listening: Lana Del Rey
Watching: Person of Interest

12 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a really good idea and it will keep everything organized, too. Whenever I have an idea, I just dump it down onto my general idea notebook. If by some chance I don't have it with me, I just keep on repeating it in my head until I get home and can write in my notebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I've used the repeating trick if I don't have any paper handy.

      I thought about having a notebook, but I figured that it'd be harder to look through. Although, I know so many writers who use that method, so if my folder doesn't work out, I'm definitely going to give that a go!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. That's a really cute idea to keep your ideas in check! I just put things in word documents. And notebooks. On my hand, on my pants. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE. I have to break up with writing ideas before I write them so I think it's okay that sometimes they disappear for a while. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I like the idea of putting things in a word document.Virtual copies are always a plus! Also, I love that you said that you have "break up" with your ideas, haha.

      Delete
  3. Ah there is no keeping track of my ideas. Apart from writing them all down in Google Docs I scribble on any piece of paper I see and also, maybe, at the back of a flyer (that's how my favourite story idea was born). It's brilliant to keep a recipe tracker though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo! The Google Doc is a good idea. That way is accessible from anywhere.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. That's such a cool idea, and I love how you DIY'd it to make it more your style! The book-page collage is always a cool look, in my opinion, haha. As for me, I wish I had a more organized way of keeping track of ideas. Maybe I should figure one out soon? For now I just kind of jot my ideas down in little notebooks or on post-it notes, so they're usually scattered in various drawers of my desk. Not very organized at all--but the recipe/receipt holder is definitely a neat way to go, I'll have to consider it!

    Also: Happy New Year! I hope you have a wonderful 2015 and that your planner/idea saver serves you well. :) And thanks for stopping by Paper Daydreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The bookpage collage is one of my go-to ideas whenever I'm DIYing. You sound just like how I used to be with ideas! I'm glad that you found so inspiration in this idea:)

      Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  5. That's such a neat idea! I first thought it was a journal, but IT'S COOLER (I mean journals are cool but this is just clever). I hope you end up keeping everything organized this way! :)

    Also, HAPPY 2015 SUNNY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think it's "cooler" too! It's so much easier to see ALL the ideas at once, vs. having to flip through a bunch of pages:)

      Happy 2015 to you too!

      Delete
  6. Such a clever idea! And so cute. I love how you redesigned yours ^_^ Gives a personal touch.
    I started a blogging notebook about a month ago where I dedicate one page to one idea and brainstorm. It's worked well so far! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, to have a notebook specifically for blogging. I also like the idea of having a brainstorming page. My little folder doesn't offer much room for brainstorming, so I might need to have an additional notebook:)

      Thanks for commenting and for your praise!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...