Sunday, January 11, 2015

January Book Haul!

 Over Christmas break, I acquired some books. Surprisingly, I didn't get any books as Christmas gifts, but that's okay because I made up for it, haha. If you've been following SOI for awhile, you'll know about my love of buying used books. I like to own books, but I'm a poor university student, so I fell in love with buying cheap books! I wrote a post about how to be a good bargain book-shopper, if you also identify as a poor *fill-in-the-blank* and want to fill your shelves (who doesn't?).

All that being said, it hardly comes as a surprise that I spent some of my Christmas time off buying books. Here's where I went and what I got:

Coles Bookstore:
After all that lip service (pen service? blog service?) about bargain books, I will confess that I spent an exorbitant amount on the the Throne of Glass books: Crown of Midnight and Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas. Out of desperation for something to read, I bought the paperback of Crown of Glass while we were visiting family and shopping in the mall. Then I zoomed through it, and didn't want to wait for the next one at the library. Soooo I dropped $20 on the ginormous copy (it is literally huge! It's almost as big as my study Bible!) of Heir of Fire at Coles. But, it was so worth it. So. worth. it. 
How I felt after reading Crown of Midnight and getting my hands on a copy of Heir of Fire.
MCC Thrift Store:
I spent all of 2 dollars on The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha and The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling). 

Needless to say, I was very happy with my purchases. I usually don't find books as current as these. When I saw the hardcover version of The Cuckoo's Calling I got a bit excited inside. There was an older man browsing beside me, and I thought he was looking a little too interested in it, while I was having my mini freak-out, so I got it together and claimed the book. *Cue evil laughter* Even though I've already read both of these books, they were books that I had been keeping an eye out for. My collection needed them!

Salvation Army Thrift Store:
When I arrived at this thrift store, I got a pleasant surprise: books were half price that day! 

The first thing to jump out at me was the plaid spines of the Gallagher Girls books. I really enjoyed this series, so it seemed like a no-brainer to pick these up on the cheap. They're the type of books that I forcefully lend people. You like spy books? You like YA? Well...I have the book(s) for you! I'll just conveniently "leave" them at your house.

Then I found Gone by Michael Grant and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. These are the only two books I bought that I haven't read yet. I debated buying Gone, but then I recalled some pretty positive reviews that I'd read...and it was half price day (so that meant I could buy twice as many books as usual, obviously). The premise sounds really interesting, so I'm looking forward to reading this. 

As for The 7 Habits..., here's what I was thinking:
 I should read this. I need to read more non-fic. I'm going to read this. I'll be an effective person. 15 million people thought it was interesting. I'm probably never going to read this. It's half price.
So, I bought it. I know, I'm a hopeless consumer. 
And of course, some cover love.
Overall, I'm really happy with my Christmas book haul. I even found some books on my shelves that I didn't want or had duplicates of to donate to the thrift stores. It felt good to purge a bit (even if I'm filling up those spaces again). I know it's not much, but I also like to know that I'm giving back to the community.

How about you? Did you get any books for Christmas? Do you buy used books? Find any good book bargains lately? Have you read Gone or 7 Habits? Let me know all your thoughts in the comments!

Reading: The Lost Art of Reading by David Ulin
Listening: Taylor Swift
Watching: Youtube!

10 comments:

  1. Eep! I really want to read Throne of Glass and the whole rest of the series because EVERYONE flails over the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST READ IT!!! It's one of those series where it just keeps getting better. I can't wait for the next one:D

      Delete
  2. The Throne of Glass is on my (huge) TBR list. It would be fabulous to get it soon. I love your thriftiness! I also adore finding books cheaply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will echo my last comment:
      YOU NEED TO READ IT!!! These two books are the best books I've read this year (haha, get it?).

      And thanks! I'm hooked on the thrifty book buys:)

      Delete
  3. What a great book haul, Sunny! The Gallagher Girls books are fantastic and hilarious (not sure if I've read ALL of them, but the ones I have I thoroughly enjoyed) and I have The Cuckoo's Calling on my to-read list. I also need to read Throne of Glass soon because I see that series EVERYWHERE and have to know what all the buzz is about, haha!

    As for me, I purchase most of my books new from Barnes & Noble, because most of the ones I'm anxious to buy are newer releases that are less likely to be found at a thrift store. But! I did buy a ton of used books for Christmas last year, and in my gift shopping I managed to pick up a few titles for myself, haha. ;) Usually the books I find used are adult fiction or nonfiction, but I've found books in those genres that I've been wanting to read, so it's a great way to get them cheap!

    And it looks like you certainly know how to do bargain book shopping right, haha. Enjoy all of your new purchases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Cuckoo's Calling is definitely better than The Casual Vacancy, so if you're going to read some post-HP Rowling, I'd go with that one! And to Throne of Glass, YES!

      The thing with thrifting books, is that it's different in every city. Some stores have more Y.A. books and others have more non-fiction. It can be frustrating, but it's always what makes it fun!

      Also, my gift shopping ALWAYS ends up with a few gifts for me too, haha.

      Delete
  4. You won't regret reading GONE! (Just be wary, this is a six-book-investment after all!). It's a great series that I love dearly - it teaches you lots and leaves you feeling absolutely pumped. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo! Your comments makes me excited to read it now! I think it will be coming up very soon on my currently reading shelf! The six book commitment makes me excited and nervous all at the same time, haha.

      Delete
  5. I have 5 Gallagher Girl books and 4 of them are from second-hand stores! SO PROUD OF ME. xD (Although also ashamed of me as I haven't read them and, um, that is bad.) >.> These are beautiful and just seeing Heir of Fire and Crown of Midnight (that's my favourite one!!) makes me aflkdjasfds fangirl ridiculously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm proud of your too Cait, but I retract some of that pride since you haven't read them yet, haha.

      Heir of Fire and Crown of Midnight make me fangirl whenever someone blogs about them or even off-handedly mentions them! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH:D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...