Tuesday, October 7, 2014

How to Read When You're Busy (Spoiler Alert: Listen to Audiobooks!)

A few weeks ago I talked about the possibility of required reading ruining reading (say that ten times fast!)
I was worried that I wouldn't have time to read "fun" books aka not assigned books. Maybe you're in the same predicament as me. You might not be in school, but you might be struggling to find time to do what you love: read.

Well I've found a solution: audio books.

Do you like my poorly edited/taken with my phone/hand drawn/taken in the
school library picture? The height of my skills right here, ladies and gentlemen!
No matter how much we try, we can't create more hours in the day, but we can utilize the hours we do have. That's what I've been learning to do over the past few weeks. Here's how I've found time to read -or should I say be read to- amongst my daily commitments:



Step One:
Acquire your audiobook.

My public library has e-audiobooks, so I've been downloading audio books through that service. See if your public library offers that service, and if they don't they probably have physical C.D. audio books that you can borrow and load onto your iPod/MP3 player.

You can also buy them online from places like audible.com. Personally, I've never used this website so I can't comment on how well this works, but I've never heard anything negative about it. I'm planning on trying this service out, if the library doesn't offer a book I want to listen to.

You can also find quite a few audio books on Youtube just ripe for downloading. Annnd that's all I'm going to say on that matter. You can decide where your moral compass points you on that one, haha.

Step Two:
Find your under-utilized time.

This is the time where you're doing a menial task that doesn't required much brain-power. I used to just listen to music, but then I realized how much time I was wasting. Here are the times when I listen to my audio books:

-Taking the bus
-Walking around campus from class to class
-Walking anywhere
-The few times that I'm actually driving
-Eating lunch
-Doing laundry
-Cleaning my house
-Laying in bed, because I'm too lazy to actually hold a book
-Working out (hahahahahahaha, yeah right, see previous point)



Step Three:
Listen to your audio book!
It's the best when you get a reader who does all the voices to keep you interested. If you do zone out though, don't be afraid to rewind the track if you think you've missed something. I do it all the time! Personally, I like to have a copy of the physical book on hand, so I can switch back and forth depending on where I am and what I'm doing. I find it helpful to end on chapters, so I can find my spot easier. It might take a bit of tweaking, to make audio books work for you, but it's so worth it.

So far I've listened to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Seraphina by Rachel Hartman, and I'm currently listening to Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer. All of these have had good narrators; the one for Seraphina even sang all the songs! If you're looking for a good narrator you could also try the Harry Potter series; Jim Dale is amazing!


Do you like audio books? Do you find it hard to focus on them? What was the last audiobook that you listened to? I know people tend to either like or dislike audio books so I'm curious to hear what you all think of them. 

14 comments:

  1. These are such awesome tips! Thank you, you are amazing! <3
    June
    The Journeys of My Beating Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope they help you out if you decide to try some audio books:)

      Delete
  2. I find audio books make boring chores so much more enjoyable (I'm looking at you, ironing pile). And long car trips are so much better with a fun book being read to you. We mostly listen to Middle Grade for my daughter's sake, but there are so many fun ones even the hubs and I have loved (Tale of Desperaux is fantastic, for example).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to re-appreciate middle grade books again. If they're well written, they can be for any age!

      And YES to making chores more fun:)

      Delete
  3. I will have to try audio books. Thank you for the tips:)
    Blog on // June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! Hope you love them as much as I do:)

      Delete
  4. Audio books while I drive are pretty much the only way I read these days. I love that I have that option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life is slowly getting to the point where audio books are becoming my only way of reading too! Thank goodness for modern technology:)

      Delete
  5. Sunny, I nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award on my blog: http://teensliveforjesus.blogspot.ru/2014/10/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sofia! I commented over on your blog:)

      Delete
  6. These are awesome tips for people who haven't tried audiobooks (me). I mean I did try them, but I just couldn't keep my attention! I haven't tried listening while doing any of the things you listed, but I'll try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes find my focus wondering if I'm just sitting and listening, or if I'm doing a task that takes up just a little bit too much mental power. It's interesting to see which tasks fall into everybody's audio book focus zone.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE AUDIO BOOKS. I have to have something to do while I'm listening though...which is perfect for me because I like to draw and also fold origami. AND walk. I listen to books when I go for long walks instead of music. ;-) Such a bookworm, totally. I was so impressed with the Code Name Verity and Rose Under Fire books. Seriously, if you get a chance, they're gold. They're by different narrators but the accents are perfection (they do everything from Polish to German to Russian to Cockney...gah! It's so cool to listen to) and they sing the little songs. It's just amazing. x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love that you love audio books!! I've been meaning to read Code Name Verity, so maybe that audio book is a good option:) Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...