Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A Bookish Halloween (AKA How to Look Like a Certain Girl-Detective)!


My sister picked an awesome costume this year for Halloween: Nancy Drew!

If you've been reading SOI for a little awhile, you'll know that I love ND. I looked back and realized that I mentioned her quite often. If you're interested in seeing all her mentions, feel free. Ahem...self promotion over.

I love the books; I loved the computer games; I loved the (lame, but awesome) movie versions. I think I'm actually a little jealous of Nancy. When my sister said that was her plan for Halloween, I was super excited to see how it would turn out. And I though, I'm going to document this and blog about it! I can be a sorta beauty blogger for one post! There must be some other like-minded people out there who will enjoy this!

The Hair
Behind the magnifying glass, I'd argue that this is one of Nancy's most iconic features. 

Here's how we did it! Okay, mostly my sister did it, but I helped! I handed her hairspray...and I did the back bit! 


Straighten your hair (if you don't have naturally straight hair) 

Tease your hair at the roots to give it volume

Part your hair, so that one side has more hair than the other.
Use your straight iron, or curler if you have one, to make single curls at the end of hair. This is waaaaay harder than it looks, so good luck! The trick is wait to turn the straightener till you're near the very bottom of the hair.
We ended up pinning the curls up with clips than spraying them down a lot of hairspray. You can just see the hairspray glistening. 
Once all the hairspray is dry and the curls feels stiff, take the clips out. If it falls apart, just reshape the curl and spray some more hairspray on it. We also pulled the curls apart a bit to give it a looser look, once everything was dry.
The Makeup
Put some on your face (aka not my area of expertise)
 My sister choose some red lipstick and black liquid eyeliner.

The Outfit 
This part of the costume is definitely in the eye of the beholder, basically anything vintage looking works!
For the accessories, we went with some classic pearls and brooch that I found at the thrift store awhile back. 


My sister found this dress and belt at the thrift store and I think it works perfectly. She already had the oxford shoes on hand.

The Final Result
There must be a pose with the magnifying glass and a ND book!
 This might be considered a looser version of Nancy Drew, but I think that any book lover would clue in (pun intended).

On A Splash of Photography, I'm going to be posting some more pictures from the mini photo-shoot that I did with my sister, before she went out to our church's fun fair. Check back for the link! EDIT: Here's the link for the complete photo-shoot!

How about you? What are you dressing up as for Halloween? Are you going to be boring like me and just hand out candy? Do you celebrate Halloween where you live? DID YOU LIKE THE COSTUME? Let me know all your thoughts in the comments!

Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Listening: Tessa Violet
Watching: Youtube

10 comments:

  1. Your sister looks amazing! You guys nailed it! I love your sister hair and dress, have a nice Halloween! X
    - June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She'll be so pleased to hear that someone liked her costume!

      I hope you have a good Halloween as well:D

      Delete
  2. Wow! Amazing costume. I had so many ideas for bookish costumes, but I'm never gonna achieve them considering Halloween is tomorrow...
    Anyway, love the hair and the dress and the everything! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And there's always next year for the costumes:) My sister has literally been planning this costume since last Halloween, haha.

      Delete
  3. I love it!! The vintage brooch, the shoes, everything!!(I might be a bit of a vintage fanatic...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so fabulous! I love it! It is fun to see costumes people put a lot of work into. They're more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home made costumes are totally awesome! I agree!

      Thanks for the compliments!

      Delete
  5. Hello! :) I nominated you for the "One Lovely Blog Award" Come check it out on my blog!

    Sammie
    sammiethestargirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nomination and thanks for visiting A Splash of Ink:D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...