Monday, August 11, 2014

On Taking a Night Off


Last night, I was supposed to write a blog post on e-readers vs. paper books. Instead, I sat on the back porch with my sister and chatted. It started off as just a simple idea to eat supper outside. As we munched on our chicken and rice, conversation picked up. The plates were long empty and the sun was sinking lower, the light growing dimmer, and we were still talking. We were just talking, nothing real deep, just about this and that. It felt so good to catch up after days of only seeing each other for a few minutes here and there.

Eventually I got up from the lawn chair; my butt had made a comfortable little valley in the cushion. I meant to take my plate and head inside. I had laundry sitting in the dryer ready for folding, and the aforementioned blog post to write. The pressure of writing the blog post was pushing itself to the front of my mind. So I stood there a few steps away from the door; my sister was still lounging in her chair and chatting, while I was contemplating what was really important to me.


I need to write at least the draft of the post to go up tomorrow and maybe design a graphic...but this is so nice. A good blog requires dedication though...you've been doing so well with the twice a week posts...But this is a moment that we don't get often...and to break it...but the blog...

Well, Sunny, which is more important right now, in this moment? Are you going to write a blog post on e-readers or are you going to stay and make memories with your sister?

By this point, my sister had stopped talking and noticed that I was standing by the door. It was one of those pauses. You know that pause that I'm talking about. The one where the other person is giving you a chance to leave the conversation or explain yourself; the one where you have to make a split-second decision. I realized that I didn't want to miss out on life, so instead of reaching for the door handle, I bent down and plugged in the patio lights, muttering something about it being too dark to see each other properly.

We talked for another hour, my blog post didn't get written, and I enjoyed my evening (relatively) guilt-free.

Sometimes us writers need to let go of our schedules, word counts, and library books. Sometimes we need to climb out of our work-spaces and shut the lid to the laptop. There is a time and place for disciple and dedication, but we need to remind ourselves to live, really live. We need to remind ourselves that our experiences fuel our writing, so we need to allow ourselves guilt-free night-offs to spend time with people we love and go on new adventures. In the end, those night-offs, those experiences, will make our writing so much better and so much more fun.

Reading: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
Listening: The Civil Wars
Watching: Defiance and Good Mythical Morning (via Youtube)

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this. Schedules are great things, really they are. And it's good to work hard and stick to a plan. But no plan is worth more than spending time with other human beings, especially when they're your family. I know I struggle with this sometimes, believing I should work rather than "waste time" with my family.

    By the way, youre watching Good Mythical Morning? How awesome! I didn't think anyone I knew watched that show apart from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you said "waste time" in quotations, haha. It's so true; spending time with people is never a waste of time. I totally agree with your comment:)

      And yes! Rhett and Link are too funny! Every couple of months I get on a GMM kick and watch a ton of the videos that have built up. They're addictive!

      Delete
  2. This was such a relatable post. I think most bloggers/writers have days or moments like this! I'm glad you got to spend time with your sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was hoping that other people would be able to relate:)

      Also, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...