Saturday, August 16, 2014

An Interview: Is an E-Reader Worth It?


Sunny: Hi Jane, welcome to the blog...again. You've been here before writing reviews (plug plug).
Jane: Thanks for having me.
Sunny: Jane, you have to be witty! 
Jane: I'm really tired to be witty. You can just make me witty, can't you? In editing?
Sunny: *sigh*
Sunny: Anyways, I wanted to bring you on the blog, so you can discuss e-readers, since you are a proud owner of one.
Jane: Er...former owner of one.
Sunny: Do tell.
Jane: My screen on my Kobo Glo...uhh I don't even know how to describe it. 
Sunny: Went kaput?
Jane: Exactly. Cue picture:

Sunny: Ouch. 
Jane: Yeeeeaah. 
Sunny: So here is the big question. Now that you've had your e-reader for awhile, is it worth replacing your kobo?
Jane: Yes, I think it is.
Sunny: Really? I'm not really sure where I stand on the e-reader vs. real book discussion.
Jane: There's definitely pros and cons.
Sunny: Well that sounds like an excellent blog post. Let's talk about that. 

Convenience:
Sunny: So what's your number one reason for wanting to replace the e-reader?
Jane: The convenience. 
Sunny: Aren't paper books convenient? Just grab one from the library and pop it into in your purse?
Jane: Well, a kobo is certainly smaller and lighter than most books. Plus, you can have more than one book at a time, which is great for vacations. Your purse is big, but not that big. 
Sunny: My purse is the perfect size, thankyouverymuch. Isn't it less convenient to acquire all those books, though?
Jane: Yes and no. 
Sunny: ?
Jane: It's easier to get the books, because you don't have to go to the library or bookstore to get them. However, you do have to have internet access to "acquire" them, as you put it. 
 
Cost:
Sunny: And money. You need money to buy them. You don't need money at the library.
Jane: What if the library doesn't have the book you want or it's a new release?
Sunny: Hmmm....I guess you might have to buy the book anyways. But there is such a thing as inter-library loans you know. 
Jane: I use my kobo to buy books the day they come out. No more waiting on a mile-long holds list at the library or standing in line at the store.
Sunny: How do the prices of e-books compare to the prices of paper books?
Jane: Normally, the books are a dollar or two cheaper. 
Sunny: Buuuut you have to pay upfront for the kobo itself. 
Jane: True.

Upkeep:
Sunny: Speaking of paying upfront, what happens when your kobo breaks, like your current situation? Paper books don't just break. 
Jane: True, but books do "break down". Bent covers, pages falling out, warping...
Sunny: I guess you have to take care of both your e-reader and your paper books. But even when your kobo is working fine, you still have to charge it in order to read. 
Jane: I guess that's the price you pay for convenience. 

Aesthetics:
Sunny: I suppose so. What about the look and feel of a book...the smell? How important is that to you?
Jane: Not as important as I thought it would be, before I got my kobo. I still read "real" books. 
Sunny: Do you still buy "real" books or do you just get them from the library? I personally like having my bookshelves full of my favourites. 
Jane: I still do buy books, but I only buy books that I really want a hard copy of. 
Sunny: Why would you want a hard copy of a book, if you have an e-reader?
Jane: If I really enjoyed the book, I like to buy a hard copy so I can lend it to people and see it on my shelf. It seems more "real" that way.
Sunny: Interesting. 

Final thoughts:
Jane: Now that I've had a kobo, I like the convenience of it, but I still read "real" books. It would be really hard to give up that convenience.
Sunny: I think that a book-lover shouldn't be dead set one way or the other. The two mediums should compliment each other.
Jane: I agree, reading is reading, no matter what form it's in. 
Sunny: That's very quotable of you. 
Jane: Thanks.
Sunny: So, you think all that convenience is worth $130?
Jane: That's something that people have to decide for themselves. It's really the deciding factor on whether or not you want an e-reader.  

What do you think of e-readers? Do you have one? Do you prefer paper books? This seems to be an issue that every reader has an opinion on, so let me know yours in the comments!


Reading: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
Listening: The Sound of Music soundtrack
Watching: Defiance

4 comments:

  1. I like both ebooks and print books, in various situations. Ebooks are best for travel and reading on the go wherever you may want like at work and at the doctor's office and wherever you suddenly have some down time. Print books (paperbacks only - hardbacks are never comfortable) are great for a cozy curl up on the couch or in bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I totally agree. I've been sorely tempted to buy myself an e-reader for those very purposes.

      Thanks for commenting:)

      Delete
  2. This is an awesome discussion...and I think you basically summed up the conveniences of BOTH really well. I never thought I'd say this but...I really wish I had an e-reader. I mean, I DO have one. But it's on my iPod and the screen is frustratingly small. I actually find I like books less when I read them on my kindle so I avoid it. BUT the convenience! Like going on holiday? I'm one of those panicked beings who can't stand the thought of being without a book. But at least if I take my kindle I have a LOT of options and I won't let any of my books get wrecked. (Last holiday I totally destroyed the cover of Divergent and cried maybe a little.) I love physical books more, but I'd never say no to the convenience of a kindle/e-reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand your worry about not having enough books on vacation! I'm an overpacker in that department and an e-reader would make things easier. I thought about putting the kobo app on my phone, but you're right it was super small, so I never bothered. Now, I have a tablet, so I'm going to give e-books another try.

      Thanks for commenting and sorry about your Divergent book, haha.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...