Friday, July 4, 2014

Summer Post: Reading List

Summer is here! And it means two things 1) I'm going on to be away next week to run a camp which means that there will only be one post next week (try not to cry too much) and 2) a new series on A Splash of Ink! I think it's pretty self explanatory; this is going to be a series where the posts all have a summer theme. I don't know how often these types of posts will go up (I'll still be posting twice a week, regardless), but it will run until September. Today, I'm sharing what's on my summer to-read list.


First up is Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.

Why I want to read it: I have been hearing nothing but praise for this book in the book blog-o-sphere, so I have to find out what everybody was talking about! I put it on hold ages ago at the library, and I got it just in time for my vacation.

What I think it's about: I've heard that it's about a sort-of shy college girl who writes fanfic and meets the man of her geeky dreams? I'm expecting a light, breezy read, full of references and inside jokes.




Next, we have The Empathy Exams by Leslie Jamison

Why I want to read it: I saw this when I was working at the library last night, but I couldn't take it out because it had a hold on it. I'm intrigued because the topic seems really interesting and applicable to writing characters. I also want to read a couple of non-fiction books this summer and this one seems like a good one to start with. It's made up of essays, so it shouldn't be too dense.

What I think it's about: I'm thinking that this book is all about how people show feelings and how feelings are received in different scenarios. I'm hoping it has a bit of a memoir vibe to it, but we'll see!



Then there's Whale Done! The power of positive relationships by Kenneth Blanchard

Why I want to read it: A few months ago I helped start a book club at my second job and we decided to read professional self-help books (mostly so it could be discussed on "work" time). This is the current book club book, so I need to get around to reading it. We picked this book, because we wanted something short (so it wasn't intimidating for the non-readers) and a book about being positive.

What I think it's about: A few of my co-workers who've read it told me compares managing people to how they manage whales at Seaworld (which promises to spark some conversation about animal rights, I'm sure)


And we have The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith 

Why I want to read it: Guys, it's JK Rowling! Of course I'm going to read it. But for real, I actually want to read this book. I enjoyed the first book in the Cormoran Strike series, so it's a natural step to read this one. Although I have feelings about Rowling post-potter, I really liked the characters in this series, and I'm excited to read about them again.

What I think it's about: I haven't actually read any synopsis, so I'm going to assume there's murder, some of Cormoran's street smarts and hopefully some bonding between Robin and Cormoran.



Finally, I want to take a crack at some of Stephanie Perkins' books

Why I want to read them: Summer is all about the romantic, light beach reads. This seems to fit the bill! I read Anna and the French Kiss, also by Perkins, and loved every minute of it, so I'm excited to see if Perkins can write more than one good romance.

What I think it's about: I think I heard something about Lola being a costume designer and by the looks of the cover it's set in San Francisco. So I'm thinking it will feature some artsy characters and obviously some cute romance.




What does your summer reading list look like? Have you read any of these books? Any recommendations for other summer reads for me? As always let me know what you think in the comments. And I will see you sometime next week via scheduled post!

Reading: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Listening: Coldplay
Watching: Covert Affairs

2 comments:

  1. I've also been reading a lot of nonfiction this summer. I love reading memoirs about people in dangerous or interesting situations such as Corrie Ten Boom, Maya Van Wagenen, Malala Yousafzai and Cylin Busby. I also really like reading well written biographies about great runners such as Louie Zamperini and Roger Bannister because I run long distance too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biographies about topics that you're interested in are the best! It makes the person's life and book so much more interesting:)

      Good for you for diving into nonfic! Hope you find some good ones!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...