Monday, June 30, 2014

Review: Every Day by David Leviathan

I was due for a breezy YA romance (it is the beginning of summer!), so when I came across Every Day by David Levithan at the library, I thought it fit the bill pretty well. The concept sounded fascinating; it looked like an interesting predicament to entertain me for a few days. Although I had a few issues with this book, it certainly wasn't boring. It held my attention and it didn't feel like a chore to read it.



The good stuff:
About characters:
A was a stand-up sort of guy; he was a main character that I liked. He had rules on how to treat the bodies that he inhabited (that he sometimes broke), and he had a sort of innocence that made me sympathetic to him. The way I felt about his innocence is similar to the way I feel about Wall-e, if that makes any sense. He was wildly in love with Rhiannon and couldn't really understand the problems that their relationship would face. However, I did enjoy how A and Rhiannon's relationship ended up by the end of the book. I thought it showed a new-found maturity from A that was admirable.


About themes:
The book presented some interesting ideas to think over. What would it be like to not have any sort of continuity to your life? To wake up in a different life everyday? It was interesting to see Leviathan explore those questions through A. But what I found really interesting was the theme that you don't really know what you're missing until you experience it. A was perfectly happy with his "life" of jumping body to body, until he met Rhiannon and experienced the "love" (we'll call it that for the sake of this point) that he was missing.

About readability:
This book was super easy to read. I was little concerned that I might have problems following the body jumps, but Levithan wrote each chapter as a separate day, so there was no problem there. I also appreciated that some days were very short, so I didn't have to read through the days that didn't progress the story. I had no problems with the writing style. I think it kept me reading because I really wanted to know how it was all going to work out.

The not-so-good stuff:
About characters:
I'm sorry, but the love interest Rhiannon just didn't seem that attractive to me. A says that she's uncommonly nice (a good trait), but I don't really see it displayed in the book. I just don't see what A sees in her (maybe it's because she "needs" saving from her crappy boyfriend?) which leads me to the next point...

This book suffers from insta-love.


A decides that Rhiannon is the love of his life in the first 20 pages, after spending one day with her. No...just no. I chalked it up to A's innocence that I was talking about earlier, and let it go, but it definitely cast a certain light over the whole book.

About themes:
I saw another review say "this book has an agenda", and I couldn't agree more. That was okay for some themes (see the positives above), but not all. When I read this book, I felt a bit like I was being preached to. Levithan uses the body swamps to talk about a ton of big ticket items (depression, vegetarianism, LBGQT+ etc.). It feels like some of the body swaps are only used to make some comment on those issues; they don't actually add anything to the plot. It's not that I necessarily disagreed with him, I just felt like the off-plot commentary from A was pushy. I wish that Levithan would a) picked one or two themes to nail down and b) let me, the reader, draw my own conclusions from his character interactions, instead of telling me what to think about each scenario.

Sunny's Rating: 2.5...er... let's go with 3 out 5 stars

Have you read this book? What did you think of it? Are David Leviathon's other books good? Is insta-love a pet peeve of yours? Feel free to rant about it in the comments, haha. Oh and one more question, do you guys like reviews? I'm not a huge reviewer, but I want to give it a go over the next few months; what do you think?

Reading: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (that only took ten tries to spell that last name!)
Watching: Graceland
Listening: David Cook

2 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on Every Day, but I'm just not sure when I'll ever get to it. And plus insta-love. Bleh. But anyways, nice review Sunny! AND HAVE FUN READING THE RAVEN BOYS. I want to see your review on that :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I wouldn't run to the library and get this book; I've read lots of better books:)
      I'm thinking that I will definitely have to review The Raven Boys because I feel like I've see so much talk about it in the blogger world! I can't resist commenting on something like that.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...