Monday, June 23, 2014

My Writing Process

I'd like to start by thanking the lovely Imogen Elvis, who writes at Gossiping with Dragons, for asking me to talk about my writing process in the Writing Process Blog Tour. This is something that I've been meaning to write about for awhile now and this tag has given me the perfect excuse!

Here are the questions that I'll be answering:

1)     What am I working on?
2)     How does my work differ from others of its genre?
3)     Why do I write what I do?
4)     How does your writing process work?



What am I working on?
Funny you should ask. Lately I've been focusing all my efforts in on blogging and haven't been writing any fiction *GASP*. The reasoning behind this is two-fold.

Reason one:
I was really taken with the plot idea that I had been writing. I was moving along swimmingly and then somewhere at the 45 000 mark, I had a rude awakening that the story I was writing was painfully similar to a book that I absolutely loved. I didn't even realize that I was "copying" parts of the plot. I never understood when other writers expressed the fear of "copying" an idea, until then. It was a major mental setback.

Reason two:
I've been working two jobs for the past six months (to save for school in the fall) which puts a severe limit on my time. I decided to take a break from writing fiction until the fall and focus on blogging. I felt like a bit of a cop-out, but it was the right decision for where I was in my life. I have thrown myself into blogging and I'm happy with the results. I think A Splash of Ink has had better content and more consistency over the past few months.

I needed to step back from my story (that is going to need some major rewrites) and get some perspective. I happy to report that over the past few weeks the story has been working its self out in my mind. I have a few ideas on how to rework the plot, but keep the essence the same. After a long break, I'm on my way.

But what am I working on?
I'm working on a story about a girl who's a librarian in a fantasy-esque city who has deal with family issues, friends and (hopefully) learns how to be a strong woman who believes in herself. Of course there's a war, some kidnappings and other action-y bits thrown in there too. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's a work in progress right now. 

How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I'm writing a fantasy, but not a fantasy that's heavy on magic. I want to focus more on the fantasy world I created and not so much on the fantasy gifts characters have. The story will probably end up with a few references to stuff like magic, but all of my main characters are just normal humans. I'm also setting my fantasy book in a library. There are probably fantasy books that are set in libraries, but I haven't read. I thought that was an interesting setting to add to the normal fantasy worlds that writers create. 

Why do I write what I do?
I write my stories because I want to feel things. I'm inspired by other creators whose art makes me laugh or cry or smile or scream or get mad or do any combinations of those. I am inspired by books that make me think and feel for a minute. I want to produce art that will make people feel something and think something, even if it's only for a second. I also write my stories to escape from normal life. My life may be boring, but my character's life sure won't be. 

How does your writing process work?
If I figure that one out, I'll let you know. Okay? ok. (inadvertent tfios reference, haha) 

What is your writing process? Why do you write what you do? Let me know in the comments! Or just tell me whatever you'd like. All comments are good comments around here. And if you feel like answering these questions in length on your own blog, feel free, but be sure to leave a link so I can read it! I love seeing other people's writing processes. 

Reading: How To Be A Heroine (Or, what I've learned from reading too much) by Samantha Ellis
Listening: Mumford and Sons
Watching: Rookie Blue 


4 comments:

  1. Your book is set in a library? Now that is an interesting idea. I certainly haven't read one of those. Don't you just hate it when you end up copying other books? One of the first novels I ever wrote was pretty much a rip off of The Hobbit, even down to giant spiders and special swords that glowed if I remember correctly. I simply couldn't bring myself to fix that one. Thanks for taking part in this, and sorry for not popping over to see this earlier. Blogger's not showing me all the posts from the blogs I follow, which is really annoying me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so embarrassed over the whole "copying" issue. Of course it wasn't a straight rip off, and there was a lot of differences, but it was just a little too similar for my likings. Ah well, I guess. I just have to move forward.

      Oh no! I hate it when my subscriptions and feeds don't always show up. If you keep having problems with blogger, you could try using Bloglovin' it's a free blog feed service. I really like it:)

      And your very welcome. It was fun!

      Delete
  2. Stepping back from something that's been giving you trouble always works. When you come back, I bet you'll make leaps and bounds with your story.

    I, too, love to read books that make me think and ponder what I just read days after I close the book. Those books are the ones that really resonate and become timeless stories. I hope to write a story like that too.

    Haha, yep I don't exactly know what my writing process is either because I haven't even finished writing my first novel. I'm working on it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that I make some leaps and bounds:) Thanks for the encouragement; it's always nice to hear someone else affirm my thoughts.

      Good luck with your first novel (I hope I can write a resonating story too!) and thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...