Sunday, April 20, 2014

Why Twitter Isn't As Dumb As I Thought

I was one of those people who thought Twitter was the gathering pool of poor grammar, conceited people and their selfies.

I was wrong. *GASP*

  Well, mostly. Those things certainly exist on Twitter, but there is a whole other side that I didn't see before. I totally disregarded Twitter, until people that I admired and respected started to make accounts. Slowly, I started to wonder onto Twitter (AKA I started to stalk people's profiles...don't even give me that look you know you do it to). I realized that not everyone on Twitter was narcissistic, like I thought. Eventually I decided that I needed to expand my online presence and that Twitter seemed the place to be. I've been on Twitter for a good six months now, and I'm loving it.

My first tweet and I'm already promoting myself. Figures, tehe. 


Here's what convinced me that Twitter wasn't as dumb as I thought.




Twitter makes authors into real people
It's easy to forget that authors are real people, especially when we're writing reviews of their books. When you see bits of an author's personality and little updates about their life outside of their book they start to become a real person. A person who poured their heart into their writing, just like I do. They become more than just a name on a cover. They become especially real when they respond to tweets/favourite tweets/retweet tweets from their fans. Any author who does that gains instant cool points in my eyes.


Twitter teaches me how to be brief 
With only 140 characters you don't get much space. Tweeting has forced me to condense my thoughts and really think about what's important in a sentence. It's a good drill that I end up doing every time I tweet something. Being concise is a lesson that all writers need to learn and has always ranked high on my list of stuff to work on.

Twitter helps me stay connected with other bloggers/writers/creators/friends
I love that all my updates stream into one place. Everyone is always tweeting about their new blog posts, their book releases, and other updates. Twitter has become a one stop shop; I don't always have to go to Goodreads to see what people are reading or go to Bloglovin' to see who's posted. It's all in one place. Not only do I get my daily "news feed", I also have the opportunity to tweet at people in a more general setting than in the comment section of their blog. 

Twitter helps bloggers and writers encourage each other
There's nothing nicer than someone complimenting you. The only thing better is when they compliment you publicly. Not only did someone like what you did, they liked it enough to announce it to all their followers. It means so much to me when people tweet about my blog, especially if it's affirming a change or post that I wasn't 100% confident in. For example, when I redesigned SOI a few months back a few of you guys (sjp and Cait, I'm looking at you. You guys were awesome!) tweeted that you liked it, and it made me feel great. Knowing that feeling, I try to pay it forward as often as possible.


Twitter is fun
It's fun to read all the witty comments and observations of other people. I like reading the first world problem tweets, I like reading the tweets from the librarians at public libraries, I like seeing the updates as someone reads a book, I like seeing all the social commentary, I like that I can go on Twitter and see the world's reaction to a T.V. show I just watched or a book I just read, I like Twitter

So there you have it. That's what persuaded me to see Twitter in a different light. Of course, there are plenty of silly tweeters, but there's also a bunch of good ones too. Your experience with Twitter will depend on who you end up following; you're in control of the kind of Twitter you'll see. 

How do you feel about Twitter? Is it your favourite social media or is it not quite your cup of tea? Let me know who your favourite tweeters are! Just for fun, feel free to sign your comment with your Twitter handle (if you have one).

Reading: Why Kings Confess by C.S. Harris
Listening: Tessa Violet
Watching: Veronica Mars 

P.S. I can't end this post without mentioning Rachel and Lizzy of The Rachel and Lizzy Show, the two who brought Twitter into my real life (like not on the internet, haha). You can check them out on Twitter here.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to Twitter! I followed you. You do make good points, you know? I joined Twitter in 2007, but left after a while. I revived it and is now very active. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow! I can definitely understand why one might take a break, but I'm glad you're back at it:)

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to get back on Twitter for the longest time! I find it so intimidating sometimes >_< But it is such a wonderful way to connect with other bloggers. I think I just need to spend a few minutes figuring it out, and I'll start having more fun with it. In any case, welcome to Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      It's totally worth the amount of time it takes to figure out; it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Good luck in learning and hopefully, I'll see you on Twitter soon :)

      Delete
  3. It's official, I'm in a screenshot, life made ;) and I still LOVE your header btw! I've enjoyed twitter I just need to stop fan-girling everytime an amazing band follows me :$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad to do it! And thanks for the continuing header love:D
      I think Twitter needs a little bit of fan-girling once in a while, tehe.

      Delete
  4. Twitter can be a lot of fun. I don't use it as much as I used to, but I still like to get on sometimes. It is a great way to keep up on things, like new books coming out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that I can easily keep track of books that are coming out, on Twitter. Now I never miss that elusive release date for my favourite authors' books.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...