Friday, March 21, 2014

Seasonal Recap on A Splash of Ink: Winter

It's the first day of Spring! Even though it snowed here in Canada today -how very un-spring like!- I wanted to usher in the new season by recapping the 2013/2014 Winter season. I started doing seasonal recaps back in the Summer, but ended up doing a year-end recap in lieu of a Fall recap. Now, I'm back to it! This Winter will cover December, January, February and March (until present).

Books: 


I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga was a memorable read. It was incredibly creepy and delightfully dark. This book follows Jazz, the son of a convicted serial killer and his quirky friend and girlfriend. We meet Jazz when he's in high school (obviously, this is YA we're talking about!) and dealing with major inner turmoil. Jazz is afraid that he is destined to become a murderer like his father. This book brings you right inside his head as he battles the good and evil within himself. All the while a new serial killer is active in his home town. Jazz hunts for the killer, partially for justice, but mostly for his own redemption.


This is not my usual book. I'm a huge wimp when it comes to anything scary or dark. However, Jazz's character is so unique and well written; I totally bought into his inner struggle. I had to find out what happened to Jazz, regardless of how twisted the mystery got. The comedic relief also helped lighten the book up.

My only gripe with this book is that it pushed my personal limits of what I can handle content-wise in a book. It got a bit gritty at parts. Fair warning.

4 out of 5 stars  

Series:
Gallagher Girls by Ally Carter
This was a long time coming, and I feel so accomplished! There's six books in this series!
I liked this series, and recommend it to the younger teen interested in the "Spy" genre. Since I'm in my later teen years, I found it a tad bit juvenile near the end (I didn't when I started the series). However, I still enjoyed this super fun, consistently enjoyable series. Ally Carter is nothing if not consistent!
3 out of 5 stars

Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth
I gobbled up this dystopian trilogy. I really loved Divergent, but I felt the other two books were weaker, still good, but weaker. I loved the setting and Roth's themes of power, knowledge and bravery. It feels very similar to Suzanne Collin's social commentary through The Hunger Games trilogy. Oh and I can't forget about Tris and Four's relationship *fangirl sigh*. And finally, the ending (if you've read it, you know what I'm talking about!) Roth made a bold move that paid off in my books (no pun intended!). Overall a thought provoking and entertaining read.
4 out of 5 stars 

The Precious Stone Trilogy by Kerstin Gier
I read these books over a span of a few years, so I had a bit of a disjointed reading experience. I remember really enjoying the first two books, but when I read this last one I wasn't so smitten. I loved the time travel/family plot line -that was really clever. Pretty much any book with time travel is "clever" in my opinion. Anyways, I found the main character, Gwen, a bit too "teenage girl" (too much hormonal stuff!) for my tastes. She needed to get her priorities straight aka stop rambling about the love interest! The ending was also a bit anti-climatic. The first two books definitely are the redeeming factors of this series.
Fun fact: these books are translated from German!
3 out of 5 stars

Blogging:
Milestones:
A Splash of Ink got a redesign, I updated my profile picture, and I made a Sunny Smith GIF in January 2014! SOI also turned three Feb. 16 2014!

Top Posts:
1. Housekeeping! (Otherwise Known as Design Tips, Guest Posting, and Social Media)
I take care of some blogger duties and give a few design tips.
2. Righting Relationships: The Four Loves
I share my knowledge of the four types of loves that your characters care share: Agape, Eros, Philia and Storge. I also rant a bit about love interests.
3. Literary BFFs: Linkup
I take part in the Book Chewers link up discussing some of the best friends in books.

BONUS TOP POST OF 2013 WINTER: Writing Research: How to Win a Sword Fight


Although Winter can be gloomy and tiresome, I think SOI made out alright. Let me know in the comments what you think of...anything really, haha. Did you read those books I mentioned? Did you do anything interesting this Winter? Agree, disagree? Feel free to comment!

Reading: Three by Kristen Simmons
Listening: Adele
Watching: Veronica Mars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...