last time we talked about writing research, so I figured it was time to get back in the saddle. If you're unfamiliar with this series, I was inspired by The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook by Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht. Many of these research posts are inspired by worst-case scenarios found in this book. This week's research is on getting through doors (one way or another).
Kicking a Door in:
1. Don't bother using your shoulder because it doesn't have as much force as your foot.
2. Kick the door where the lock is located. This will take a few well-aimed blows. The stronger the door (solid wood or metal exterior doors) the harder it will be. Another method might be required (see below).
Prying the Lock off a Door:
1. Insert a piece of sturdy metal between the lock and the door.
2. Wiggle the metal back and forth until the lock comes off
Taking the Door off the Hinges:
1. You'll need a screw driver and a hammer or a similar pair of items. This only works if the hinges are facing your side of the door.
2. Place the pointy end of the screw driver against the pin in the hinge.
3. Use the hammer to hit the other end of the screw driver, forcing the pin out.
Shimmy the Lock Open with a Card:
1. The card you use needs to have some flexibility and shouldn't be something important (such as a credit card) consider using an old gift-card.
2. This method works best if the slanted part of the door stop is facing you. The idea is to wiggle the card into the slant of the door latch and force it open. This is an excellent article for a detailed process.
Pick the Lock:
1. If it's a simple privacy lock in a house, you may be able to stick a screwdriver in the hole in the door knob and turn.
2. If it's a pin and tumbler lock, read this article's how-to.
And of course you...er your character could always just blast the door open with explosives. I'll leave the research on that to you, though. If you have any brilliant ideas on how to get through a locked door or how to use this nugget of information leave it in the comments!
Reading: United We Spy by Ally Carter
Listening: The Black Keys
Watching: The X Files Season 1