Saturday, January 11, 2014

Literary BFFs: Linkup

It's time for another linkup! This one is hosted by the Book Chewers blog. It's all about friendships in books. I find the supporting characters (most often the friends of the MC) a huge part of the book, so I was happy to honor them in this post. These are my top five friendships in books that I've read. If you'd like to participate you can find the link up here.

Nancy Drew, Bess Marvin and George Fayne: Nancy Drew Mysteries
Check out the awesome tumblr where this is located.

With Bess's feminine charm and George's athleticism, they make the perfect sidekicks for Nancy Drew! They may be more cookie-cutter characters, but I'm perfectly fine with that. I don't look to Nancy Drew books for great character development, I look to them for excellent plots and mysteries!

"You're kidding right?" George commented in her usual blunt way. "Are you really so desperate for a mystery that you're going to investigate this?" 
 Bess giggled. "Be nice, George," she chided. "Poor Nancy hasn't had a burglar to bust or a kidnapper to capture in...what? At least a couple of weeks? Who can blame her for being desperate."
-Without a Trace, Carolyn Keene

Anne Shirley and Diana Barry: Anne of Green Gables 


The bosom friendship between these two is so nice to read about, because it the type of friendship you wish you had. The friendship begins at a young age and they stay the best of friends their entire life. They have their ups and downs, but through it all, they're loyal to each other.

My personal favourite, is the scene where Anne accidentally gets Diana drunk. It's just too funny.

“Miss Barry was a kindred spirit after all," Anne confided to Marilla, "You wouldn't think so to look at her, but she is. . . Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.”
-Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery


Juilette and Kenji: Shatter Me series
Kenji isn't exactly Juilette's BFF, but he is a friend. The best trait about him is that he isn't her lackey. He's always got something else going on that doesn't have to do with her, so he feels real and has depth as a character. He's not your traditional sidekick or friend.

This guy has some of the best lines. Not only is he funny and smart aleck-y, but he doesn't let Juilette mope around. He tells it like it is, which is very refreshing since her character was a little grating at times. Some of his best lines:

Funny:
“Because if I lower my voice, I won’t be able to hear myself speak. And that,” he says, “is my favorite part.” 

“Have you ever had a girlfriend, Kenji?"
"What?" He looks mortally offended. "Do I LOOK like the kind of guy who's never had a girlfriend? Have you even MET me?”

Refreshing:
“I'd appreciate if you'd grow the hell up and stop walking around like the world crapped on your only roll of toilet paper.”

 “All you do is sit around and think about your feelings. You’ve got problems. Boo-freaking-hoo...As far as I can tell, you’ve got food in your mouth and clothes on your back and a place to pee in peace whenever you feel like it. Those aren’t problems. That’s called living like a king."
-Unravel Me, Tahereh Mafi

Sebastian St. Cyr and Paul Gibson: Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries 
How could I not mention my latest book crush?
What would the Viscount do without his physician/coroner? For one, he'd wouldn't have an on-demand doctor to stitch him up after some criminal attacks him or an inside source for evidence. Often times the conversations between these two take place as Paul is cutting open and examining the latest murder victim- that is, until Sebastian can't handle the smell any longer.

Not only do they have a professional(ish) relationship, but they fought in the Napoleonic wars together, forming their personal friendship. They work well as friends because they look out for each other. Sebastian keeps an eye on Paul's inclination towards opium, and Paul keeps tabs on the people trying to kill Sebastian.

Fred and George Weasley: Harry Potter Series

I hesitated to include this duo on the list, but I think there was so much more than a brothership between the two of them. Their relationship started as brothers, but as they grew older it evolved into a powerful friendship that went beyond blood ties.

These two trouble makers are great comic relief. Their shining moment (in my opinion) is when they pull all the pranks on Umbridge. They were hardly ever serious, but when it comes down to doing the right thing, they did it.

“Now, you two – this year, you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you've – you've blown up a toilet or –"
"Blown up a toilet? We've never blown up a toilet."
"Great idea though, thanks, Mum.”
-Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, J.K. Rowling

There you have it! Agree, disagree? Who is your favourite book BFFs? Let me know in the comments.

Reading: Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier
Listening: Owl City
Watching: Chicago Fire

13 comments:

  1. Haha, love the Nancy Drew one. xD I need to read them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ND is awesome! I was thinking that I should reread a few of the classic ones again, as well:)

      Delete
  2. Great post. Love Anne and Diana, and I think it's awesome that you included the Weasley brothers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Tehe, I love the Weasley brothers:D

      Delete
  3. I don't know about Fred and George... I'm not such a huge fan of pranks being played on me while I'm sleeping. I'd definitely go for Hermione though! http://booksaplentybooksgalore.blogspot.com/2014/01/our-literary-sidekicks.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty of Fred and George is that they're the best when you're not their victim, haha.

      Hermione is a great option as well! She'd be a great friend to have in real life. More stable than the brothers:P

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Anne and Dina have always been one of my favourite friendships. And George, Bess, and Nancy are a lot of fun too. Those books are fun, especially in the summer for a light read while lying in the sun. And Fred and George...everyone should love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment makes me wish for Summer reads on the beach. Right now in Canada, I have to settle for cozy Winter reads, haha.

      Delete
  5. Diana Barry was the best friend ever for Anne :) But oh my gosh you're reading Emerald Green !!!! Gah I want to read it SO bad. I've already read the first two books in the series... and Owl City. I really get excited when I find people somewhere in the blogosphere who does/reads/listens to the same things as me. It includes grinning happily and feeling complete :D

    Ahem. Ignore me. I'm weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not ignore you!!!! lol I love finding people who like what I like! Usually I don't get any comments on the reading/listening/watching bit of the post, so it's exciting when someone mentions it:D

      Emerald Green is good so far. It makes me excited that by the end of this book I'll have some sort of conclusion on the story. I feel like all I do is wait for sequels and trilogies to be released now-a-days:P

      Delete
    2. I understand. Believe me, I understand. Everything has sequels or is part of a series!

      Well, thank you for not ignoring me. :D I admit that would have been a little disappointing... yeah, i couldn't help it. I saw Emerald Green and Owl City and I was like, "Oh, yeah. Score. I like this girl."

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh, Fred and George! I've only read 3 HP's so far, but they're (and the rest of the Weasley's) are my favourites. They're just so funny! I'm looking forward to liking Kenji more in the next Shatter Me books. Gosh, he really bothered me in the first book, because I felt he just "appeared" and I didn't now where from or why he was suddenly buddy-buddy. But he did have funny lines, even in that one. :)
    Thanks for joining in our linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to link up with you guys!
      As for Kenji, I think he was a soldier with Adam and helped them escape? I can't quite remember, but I can see how you might feel that way.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...