Monday, December 23, 2013

Notebook Sister's End of Year Linkup

I'm a little late to this party, but I wanted to leave this linkup to the very end to make it as accurate as possible. If you'd like to participate check out the details here. I skipped over a few questions, because I couldn't think of a good answer, just in case your wondering. 

1. What was your overall favourite book this year? (Yes. Pick one.)
I'm having a really hard time picking, and I feel like I'm forgetting how I felt about some of the books that I really loved from earlier in the year. I think it's between The Program, How to Lead a Life of Crime, and Anne and the French Kiss. Let's go with...er...The Program by Suzanne Young.

2. Favourite debut(s)? (Author must have been first published in 2013.)
Would it be cheating to go with Robert Galbraith? I'm going with Robert Galbraith and The Cuckoo's Calling. My blog, my rules.

3. Which books did you reread this year?
I don't think I reread any to be quite honest with you.

AH! Oh returning to writing this post, I realized that I lied. I'm pretty sure I reread some Ally Carter books...I believe it was Heist Society and Uncommon Criminals in honor of the release of Perfect Scoundrels.
If I reread any others and I'm just forgetting, the likely suspects would be Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer, Harry Potter by JK Rowling and Beka Cooper: Terrier by Tamora Pierce.

4. Favourite cover(s) this year!
These books weren't necessarily published this year, but they were ones I read this year:
102 Ways to Write a Novel -I love the graphics.
Clockwork Princess-very magical illustration
Unravel Me-I love the detail work in the eyelash.


5. Worst cover(s)?
Why We Write- It's a picture of a book, on a book cover. Great content, not-so-great cover art. 
Spies and Prejudice- I can't quite put my finger on it, but it gives me that "self-published-cover" vibe. 

6. Which book(s) gave you a massive hangover?
The Program by Suzanne Young was one of those books that had me talking about it with everyone! My usually steady boat of emotions was so rocked by reading it that I couldn't shut up about it. I simply cannot wait for the next one. 
Also, Why Mermaids Sing had a shocking reveal in the ending. Thank goodness the next book was published already, or else I'd have moped about that for days.

7. Best standalone you read?
Either Anna and the French Kiss or How to Lead a Life of Crime. I love a good standalone; it seems like all we get now-a-days are series! 

8. Biggest book(s) you've read this year?
The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling, cashing in at 505 pages. Trust good old Rowling to write a long one.
9. Book(s) you followed the hype for and then loved!
I don't really know if there was "hype", but there was certainly a lot of talk about The Maze Runner. I finally read it, after buying on the cheap somewhere and then letting it collect dust for a few months, and loved it! Very suspenseful. 

10. Most disappointing book(s) you read this year?
The Beauty Experiment by Phoebe Hyde Baker. I loved the premise, a year without beauty products or rituals, and I enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book. However, I think she failed to sum up what she learned and left me with the question of "So what did it all mean?". The ending was just really disappointing for me.

I don't like to prattle on about stuff I didn't like, but I can't let this go without mentioning Pretty Face. The basic plot is "fat" girl with a binge eating problem goes to Italy, realizes that European guys like curvy girls, walks a lot and then gets thin and gets the guy. 
My first issue with this book is that there wasn't any subplots; it was simplistic. That was my big problem with this book. Not enough going on. My second more minor issue is that I didn't really find the author's theme consistent. If the theme was "You don't have to be thin to be beautiful." then I don't understand when she let the MC end up losing all the weight. If the theme was "Being healthy (aka thin) leads to a better life" then why did she glorify the Italian attitude towards food like she did? I don't know, but I felt like the potential to make a statement about body image and the such was lost here. 

11. Favourite leading-female character?
I had some big issues with wimpy/boring female (and male) leads this year. You can read more about those thoughts here. The one that I did enjoy was Kat from Perfect Scoundrels. 

12. Favourite leading-male character?
Hands down, Sebastian St. Cyr. He's my fictional crush. Brooding, handsome, clever, and he solves mysteries!

13. Best romance(s)?
Anna and St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss. It's classic, enjoyable chick-lit; how could it not win this category?

14. What book(s) hit the DNF list? (Did not finish.)
The 2nd Maze Runner book, The Hate List, and probably a few more, but I don't really keep track.

15. What book(s) did you read out of your comfort-zone?
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. I wrote a little bit about it here if you're interested.

16. What's a book you're hugely excited for coming out in 2014?!
Hmmm... I'm looking forward to Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi. It should be a good end to that series. Also, isn't the cover artwork lovely?

How about you? Any highlights in 2013? Let me know in the comments. 




Reading: Where Maidens Mourn by C.S. Harris
Listening: Christmas music! Lady Antebellum in particular. 
Watching: Haven 

8 comments:

  1. I ADORED How to Lead a Life of Crime . Mind blown. I was glued to that book...gosh. *ahem* I really want to read Anna and the French Kiss (along with fifty-two billion other books I should read). I'd I love all the Tahereh Mafi covers. They're gorgeous. It puts a new spin on "eye-candy". Ha...ha. Moving on! Pretty Face sounds a bit worrying. I don't think I'll try that one.
    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting!
      Haha, eye candy...punny!
      And yes, How to Lead a Life of Crime was amazing!

      Delete
  2. I would almost read the Clockwork Princess based soley on its cover. :) Cait keeps telling me I should read How to Lead a Life of Crime. Another one on my to-read list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You should read HtLaLoC! It's so good!!

      Delete
  3. I agree some beautiful covers up there and I seriously want to know what the Clockwork Princess is about! I need to get out there and find me some books instead of angering my inner editor with free ebooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes.

      Now, Clockwork Princess is the third in the trilogy, so you might want to start with Clockwork Angel. The cover for that one is also quite nice:)

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I've been wanting to check out Shatter Me for the longest time but I've never been sure what if it's something I'd want to read!

    Tabby (http://tabbys-corner.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember enjoying it. It's not the best book I've ever read, but it's most definitely not the worse. Plus, the cover art is so pretty.

      Give it a shot, and see what you think!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...