Sunday, December 29, 2013

In Which I Explore the Wonderful World of GIFS

Within the past two weeks, between all the Christmas-y celebrations, I've managed to make my way to the movie theater twice. Both times to see movies that were adapted from books. That seems to be a reoccurring trend. Anyways.

What did I see? You can probably guess, but I'm going to show you anyways in gifs. In fact I'm going to use gifs throughout this entire post.



Catching Fire
I really enjoyed this movie-more so than the first one to be completely honest. 

Watching the movie is a different experience than reading the book, since you're not seeing everything through Katniss. You're not in her head; you don't have her constant commentary. This is both a pro and a con. You don't know Katniss as well in the movie, but that works in her favor (in my humble opinion) since she (or rather her cynicism) can be a wee bit grating after a while. 

My favourite parts:

Some of the beautiful cinematography. 




The Rebellion:



The Symbolism:


Oh and how can I forget about this scene that made me cry within the first twenty minutes of the movie?

I  also liked seeing the development of Effie, Haymitch and all the other minor characters (Finnick, Joanna, etc. etc.) To sum it all up, I enjoyed every minute of it. 

The ending? It felt like this:


I was so hyped up with emotion and immersed in the story, then I slammed into the wall of reality. 

Desolation of Smaug 
I was roped into seeing this one with my sister and a few other friends. I'm not the biggest LOTR fan (so correct me if I get any details wrong), but I did enjoy the second installment of the Hobbit. 
I haven't read the books, so I can't comment on how true the adaption was. I can say that I enjoyed this movie on a more simplistic level. I didn't pay too much attention to the details. 

Would I watch it again? Probably not, but it did have some enjoyable aspects:

This she-elf (Tauriel):


The scenes in Laketown:


Especially the ones with this dude:


Guy...er...Thornton...er....Thorin of Oakenshield:


(virtual internet points if you got those references)

And this scene:

Overall this wasn't a bad movie. I like the dwarfs, and the setting of Laketown really made the movie for me. I didn't love it, like I loved Catching Fire, but it was still good.

How about you have you seen any of these movies? Want to see them? Let me know all of your random thoughts in the comments.

Reading: Where Maidens Mourn by C.S. Harris
Listening: The last of my Christmas music
Watching: Kyle XY

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh. Ahhhh.

    Catching Fire.

    I loved it so much. 'twas quite true to the book but also added things that I just... J'adore Catching Fire!

    Tabby (http://tabbys-corner.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. The scenes that they added only enhanced the story in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. You must read the Hobbit. It's better than the movies. Peter Jackson did a better job of adapting Lord of the Rings to movies than he is doing for the Hobbit. Though I'll probably enjoy the second movie. I haven't seen it yet, though I saw the first one. I do want to see the second Hunger Games movie though, sometime. What I first thought was bad now seems like good satire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might get around to reading the Hobbit at some point, haha.

      As for the Hunger Games, it gets an undeserved bad rap. It's really a great satire like you said. I actually wrote a post about dystopians, discussing that, which I then revised in this post: http://splash-of-ink.blogspot.ca/2013/04/an-example-of-revision.html

      Delete
  3. I loved both movies, I loved Catching Fire way more than I thought I would. So much so I want to see it again. And I am a HUGE LOTR geek, so naturally I loved that one. *Smirk* It was fun though, reading a review by someone who isn't a fan. All of the fans have been picking it to bits...so...yeah, anyways.

    Great movies. I'd go see both again but I can't seem to get anyone. I think my dad is ready to go and see The Hobbit again though, so soon, maybe soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind seeing Catching Fire again in theaters,haha.

      Hopefully you can talk your dad into going! I always find the first viewing is for entertainment and the second is for analyzing, but that's just me.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I was the same for Catching Fire, have not read the books yet but thoroughly enjoyed it and was deeply caught up in the story and emotions the ending was like wait what?

    I look forward to seeing The Hobbit but I am entirely biased towards Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you can NOT read the books to find out what will happen, after an ending like the one in Catching Fire. If I didn't already know the story, I'd be dying to know the ending, haha.

      As for The Hobbit, the Sherlock duo is great!

      Delete
  5. i loved The Hobbit as a child but the way they've drawn out the story into three films left me a bit bored. Too much of a good thing, I guess.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. It would be more enjoyable to have it all in one movie. I guess they wanted to make as much money as they could from it...ah well, such is life, I suppose.

      Delete
  6. I've seen both now. I was 100% wowed by Catching Fire. Woot! It blew away all doubts about the movies that I had from the first one. LOOOOVED it. The 2nd Hobbit movie, I wasn't so keen on. A lot of stuff didn't match up for me, though. But I definitely laughed and thought Tauriel (? spelling) was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto on Catching Fire. I wasn't 100% sure on the first HG movie either. It's actually surprising that the second movie was better (in my opinion) because usually sequels aren't as good!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...