Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Seasonal Recap on A Splash of Ink: Summer


Today's the second day of Fall. Can you believe how fast the summer went?
I got the idea to do a summer recap from a blog called Musings From Neville's Navel. If the name hasn't intrigued you enough to check it out, you might like to know that she writes about books, reading and other geeky stuff.

Anyways, let's get on with the recap! This includes June, July, August and September (up until now).

Favourite Read of the Summer: 


The Program by Suzanne Young
Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories. 

I can't stop talking about this book. It made me ball my eyes out and usually that's not a good thing, but I just love how the author made me feel about the characters. It's part romance, part social commentary, and part grief. If you want something with emotional impact, this will definitely deliver.

Most Bizarre Read of the Summer: 
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
At the age of 23, James Frey woke up on a plane to find his front teeth knocked out and his nose broken. He had no idea where the plane was headed nor any recollection of the past two weeks. An alcoholic for ten years and a crack addict for three, he checked into a treatment facility shortly after landing. There he was told he could either stop using or die before he reached age 24. This is Frey's acclaimed account of his six weeks in rehab.

I wanted to read this book because of all the controversy surrounding it. If you don't know, there was a big scandal when it came out that Frey fabricated a lot of the events in his supposedly true memoir. It read very much like a novel. It reminds me a bit of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. It was...interesting to say the least, very gritty and not for the faint of heart. Let's just say after reading this I will never even think about doing drugs.

Top Five Blog Posts of the Summer: 
1. Keeping Track of Our Blogs and How to Use Bloglovin'
Back when everyone thought the Google Friend Connect was leaving us, I looked into using a third party reader to follow my blogs. Since then I've discovered a ton of new blogs and enjoy being able to follow blogs no matter who the provider is.
2. Emotional Impact: Bookchewers Linkup
Every week The Bookchewers hosts a linkup. That week it was about books that have affected you. I talk about books that made me laugh, books that made me cry and more. An interesting way to see my reading tastes, if you're interested.
3. Tips on Starting a New Blog
I wrote this post soon after I started by photography blog, A Splash of Photography. I talk about naming and designing your blog.
4. The Book Chewer's Linkup: Library List
This is supposed to be about the books you would get for a character in a novel (I choose Juliette from Shatter Me), but I veered a little off course and talked about a bargain book buy in cottage country.
5. Guest Post: Caitlin Hensley and Self Publishing
In this post, Caitlin talked about her choice and journey to self publish her book Paranormal Legacy.

BONUS: 2012 Summer's Top Post: 
Second Hand Books and a Partially Empty Bookcase
I talked about buying new bookcases and buying thrift store books. Back then I was looking for more books to fill my shelves because there was empty spots, but now I'm looking for empty shelves to hold my books!

If you want to do something similar on your blog, feel free to shamelessly promote your post in the comments, so I can check it out! Have you read either of the two books I talked about? Thoughts on Summer ending? Let me know in the comments!

Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Listening: Civil Wars
Watching: Downton Abbey SEASON FOUR!!!!:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...