Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Bookchewers Linkup: Sequels

It's time for another Book Chewers linkup! Today's topic is all about sequels and series. If you'd like to see the original prompt, you can check it out here

1. Best sequel you've ever read?
Definitely Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce. It has all the same elements from the previous book that I loved, yet it was it's own creation. It didn't feel dragged out or unnecessary like some sequels do.

2. Worst sequel you've ever read?
Whatever the second book is in the Dragons in Our Midst series by Bryan Davis. *Insert Google Search* the book is called The Candlestone. I wanted badly to like the book (and whole series for that matter), and I did like the plot, but I just found the writing drier than burnt toast.

3. Sequel that outshone the first book?
I'm going to get guff for saying this, but I enjoyed Catching Fire more than the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It felt like the tension was higher, and not to mention the many ideas that I loved from the first book showed up again in this sequel.

4. Do you often read sequels or do you read the first book and move on?
I always get excited to read the sequel after I finish a good book, so I usually go get it right away. The only reason that I won't read the sequel is if it hasn't been published by the time I finish the first book. I usually end up forgetting what the first book was about by the time the sequel gets published and so I don't read it.

5. What's a sequel that really surprised you (in a good or bad way)? Why?
Fire by Kirstin Cashore. It's not technically a sequel, but it was written after and widely considered as the second book in the Graceling trilogy. It's more of a companion, in my opinion. Anyways, it was so surprising because of how different it was. At first I was put off with the different characters and timeline, but after reading it, I was so impressed. It was great and definitely rivals Graceling.  

6. What's the last sequel you read? (Briefly, what did you think of it?)
My Goodreads account tells me it was Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi. I really enjoyed this, although the MC was a bit whiny in sections. I actually wrote a post about how I bought the book; you can read it here.

7. What are 3 sequels you're planning to read (eventually...)?
I've had a hold on this book for what seems like forever, so it's number one on this list: Breaking Point by Kristen Simmons (the sequel to Article Five).
The next one is The Treatment by Suzanne Young. It's the sequel to the heartbreaking, but enjoyable book The Program.
Hmmm...another sequel that I intend to read at some point is...*insert scrolling on Goodreads* the last book in the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. I left it so long that I forget what happened in all the previous books, so I'm planning to reread them at some point.

8. What's the first sequel you see when you look at your bookshelf?
The Harry Potter series and Artemis Fowl series. They're right beside each other, so I saw them at the same time.

9. Best sequel cover!?
I thought about this one for a few minutes and came up with Insurgent by Veronica Ross. I don't know if it's the prettiest, but I do like it.


10. What book(s) do you think desperately need a sequel...but don't have one?
I can't think of any books off the top of my head. Maybe Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins? I feel like we (as readers in general) sometimes get carried away with book series and sequels, especially with YA books. Not that I think series are bad, but I think we sometimes forget the value of a novel, a story on it's own.

How about you what's your favourite series? How do you feel about sequels? Let me know in the comments.

Reading: 102 Ways to Write a Novel by Alex Quick
Listening: Jack Johnson
Watching: Suits
Previously on A Splash of Photography: How to take a Dear Photograph

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read Insurgent yet but I adore the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the tree so pretty? It's definitely a good read, when you get a chance:) I'm thinking to reread it before I read the third book in that trilogy.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting and awesome how a lot of people are saying Catching Fire is one of their favourite sequels (me too!). I think that's great! Ah, the happiness of getting to answer questions about books. I didn't even realise The Program already had a sequel! I still have to read the first one (I'm sooo behind on sequels). And I think stories can stand on their own and be awesome. I feel like The Giver was perfect on it's own and never needed explaining further.

    Thanks for joining in our linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that the Program's sequel is out quite yet. I just know that it has a title and an entry on Goodreads. The Program was very good; you'll enjoy it if you like to shed a tear or two over a book.

      I'm with you on the Giver. I didn't even realize it had a sequel till years after I read it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...