Monday, August 5, 2013

The Book Chewers Link Up: Library List

I've been following and enjoying the bookishness of The Book Chewers blog since Cait, Mime, and Lydia ushered it into the blog-o-sphere April 2013.  I've watched their weekly linkup parties go by, but never participated, until now that is. 

This week's prompt:

You're running errands for a book character of your choice, and you'll be picking up some books at the library for them. What books are on the list they gave you, and why did the character choose those specific books?

I'm going to pick Juliette from Shatter Me and Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi. I actually bought this book (!!!) from the bargain bin (cue my wallet breathing a sigh of relief) at a little Foodland up in Cottage Country. 

The whole book-buying experience was funny to me. First the stand with all the bargain books was in the middle of the ice cream section, wedged between two freezers. I wasn't complaining though, books and ice-cream: a match made in heaven. It was the books on the stand that had me going. Their was an etiquette book for the mother-of-the-bride filled with tips on avoiding wedding faux-pas, an I Spy-like book where you had to find the ten dollar bills hidden in grainy pictures of Hong Kong, a book of wedding poetry, TinTin graphic novels, a book on how to be the best feminist one can be, and of course, your average drugstore...er in this case, Foodland harlequins. I probably wouldn't have even seen Unravel Me tucked in amongst the others, but the author's unique name caught my attention. At first, I didn't realize it was the sequel to Shatter Me because the two covers looked so different, but after some examination I figured it out. 
 It had a tiny cut on the front cover, so it was half price (yippee!). When I arrived at the checkout I was pleasantly surprised that they had a person to bag our groceries. You don't see that around where I live; I'm used to the Self-checkouts. Anyways, she put my book in a little vegetable bag to protect it and then it was mine for the reading. 
The bag the book came in and my reading spot. 

I just finished reading it today on the drive home from my Aunt's cottage, so it's fresh in my mind for this linkup.  The linkup...riiiiiight that's what this post was supposed to be about. Without further adieu, the books that Juliette might want from the library:

Knitting new mittens & gloves : warm and adorn your hands in 28 innovative ways by Robin Melanson 
Since Juliette's touch is fatal, she has to cover her skin all the time. I figure she'd get bored of wearing the same gloves all the time. She needs some style in her life, instead of that drab spandex suit and leather gloves.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Juliette struggles with standing up for herself, so I think she'd be inspired by Katniss's resolve and kick-butt personality. 

Living Beyond Your Feelings: Controlling Your Emotions So They Don't Control You by Joyce Meyer
Juliette can be really self involved sometimes and caught up in her feelings. It was slightly annoying to me, but thankfully another character calls her out on it. I think that by the end of this book she was trying a little bit better to stop being so wrapped up in her bitterness. Maybe she'd want a self-help book on that topic. *cough* she needs it *cough*

Dr. Seth's love prescription : overcome relationship repetition syndrome and find the love you deserve by Seth Meyers, with Katie Gilbert
Juliette has a few problems when it comes to her love life. The obvious one being that she can't touch anybody, and the real problem being that she's wildly attracted to someone terrible for her (and everybody else for that matter!) and she knows it. She'd be getting this book in hopes of getting over that attraction and moving on. 

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins 
Juliette needs a light, romantic and fun read with a happy ending. Her life is way to intense!

If you want to do this fun linkup click here and be sure to comment if you do it, so I can check it out! Also comment with character/book combinations and what you think of this link up. 
The Book Chewers
What I'm reading: Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling
What I'm listening to: Michael Bublé
What I'm watching: Rookie Blue
Previously on A Splash of Photography: A Walk in the Woods

6 comments:

  1. This is a great list! I've had my eye on Unravel Me for a while now. (The cover is somewhat awesome.) I laughed at the last one! Yes, who doesn't need a bit of a light read now and then? She'll need it after The Hunger Games anyway... ;)

    Thanks for linking up with us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Unravel Me waaaaay more than Shatter Me, so I highly recommend it. And yes, the cover art is so pretty.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. First off, the ice-cream section is the perfect place to put a book. Totally. Why doesn't my grocery store do that? Loved the list. The mittens one made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tehe, this grocery store is the first place I've seen that combination. The list was too fun to make up, so I'm glad you were as amused as I was with it:)

      Delete
  3. I didn't know Shatter Me had a sequel! I've been wondering about reading it. Its not really the kind of book I like, but the plot caught my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize it had a sequel either, until I saw it in the store. Shatter Me isn't the greatest book I've ever read, but it's worth a try, especially since Unravel Me is so good.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...