Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Idea Process: an analogy

Writing is a process. I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again. We start with something really quite terrible and refine it until it becomes something lovely and intelligent (and hopefully publishable). However, before we write something, be it a novel or an essay, we get an idea. Ideas need refining too; in the same way that revise drafts, ideas (ie. plots) get revised too.

This simple, but encouraging idea dawned on me this week as I worked on an assignment for photography, so I decided to show you my process, as a sort of analogy, through a series of pictures that I took. Through each shot, I refined my idea and sometimes did a complete over haul. It was neat to see the thread of idea throughout all the pictures. Anyways here are the pictures (and my great graphic design skills showcased, tehe):


The whole point of showing the pictures was to encourage you as a writer, not to be too hung up on what your writing looks like now. It will change and morph into something much better as you work on it. Hopefully this reminder has inspired you, as it has me.

What I'm reading: Scorch Trials by James Dashner
What I'm listening to: Black Keys 
What I'm watching: New Girl

2 comments:

  1. It is something all authors should keep in mind. Often we become discouraged if our work doesn't turn out perfect the first time. We have to remember it is a progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. You've hit the nail on the nose!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...