Monday, February 11, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group: Feb. 2013

I've been skipping out on my Insecure Writer's Group posts for the last few months, but today I wanted to get back into the game, so to speak, even if it's a little late. Lately I've been thinking about what I was feeling as a writer when I first started SOI. Seeing as the 2nd anniversary of SOI is coming up on Feb. 15., I believe that I've come a long way from that first post. I feel like I've gotten over that first wall that every new blogger has to face. That wall of insecurity is the topic I want to touch on today.

Think back to when you published your first post on your blog, for some it may have been just a few months ago, but for others it is in the distant past. I remember having zero followers and only Dessy and Kote (my wonderful, loyal blog friends) reading my posts. After a few weeks the newness wore off and I started to question what I was doing.

"Why should I write if no one is reading?" was the question on my mind whenever I looked at the empty follower box. For me, I gauged much of my success in the number of followers I had, and I had very few. I was determined to make it work, though. So I kept writing, post after post, and slowly people started following my blog. I remember getting a little burst of excitement the first time someone followed my blog that I didn't know in person. After awhile all those posts that I had written, when all I wanted to do was quit, started paying off. People were actually reading my blog! Not a lot of people, compared to others, but people were reading.

What I really want to say by telling you my little anecdote is that blogging (like everything else) doesn't come with instant success. When I see those blogs with thousands of followers, sometimes I get discouraged, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that feeling. What we must remember is to focus on our own blogs and keep working to improve them, instead of being discouraged by someone else's success. Carefully plant the little blog seeds and keep watering them and give your blog time to grow before giving up. I always get a little sad inside when I see blogs with five or six posts that have been discontinued because the author is too discouraged to continue. DON'T BE THAT BLOGGER!!

Alright, enough is enough. Good luck and don't give up!

What I'm reading: Delirium by Lauren Oliver
What I'm listening to: Frank Sinatra
What I'm watching: Suits

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, first posts and first months of blogging. Those are the worse! But I am glad you made it past them without giving up because I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's always really nice to hear:)

      Delete
  2. Hello again! Back to offer you another award for your inspiring words. You know, I go through this every day. When I look at the lack of interest and lack of response, that question of "Why should I write when no one is reading?" comes up. It is a heavy burden of insecurity and can be a struggle to keep moving on. But you are right, this is not something that will hand out instant success. It takes time and commitment. Passion is what drives us all to work so hard, we should keep it up!

    So come and get your Liebster Award when you can! You really deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the award! That's so nice of you to say all of those things. You're right, passion is what drives us forward!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...