Saturday, November 24, 2012

How to Increase Blog Traffic: Part 1

Traffic, train style.
When writing SOI in the early days, I remember my sole mission was to attract readers. I had carried on a fun blog with a few friends called Super Hyper Human Beings, for a few years that kept the three of us connected and laughing. It was great, but I wanted to try something solo.

I started off with a blog about my life and my beliefs called A Day in the Sun. Haha, get it? Sunny, sun. Anyways, that blog (and another) has since gone out the window in favour of this one. Since the beginning of SOI back in 2011 I have learned a few things about attracting readers. I've been meaning to write up a post on the few blog traffic nuggets that I have learned, and the day has finally come! Without further adieu, the first part of a list of ways to improve traffic on your blog:

1. Be present in the blog-o-sphere
a) Make intelligent comments on other people's blogs that relate to the content.
Don't use comments simply for self promotion. I usually don't put a link to my blog in the comment. Personally, I find that a little presumptuous, unless the blogger asks for it in the post.

b) Follow other people's blogs
Don't feel obligated to follow someone's blog just because they've followed yours. I only follow blogs that I'm genuinely interested in, because I don't want to litter up my notification  box with stuff I don't really want to read.

c) Get involved with linkies and different contests
It's okay to say no to some of these. It's better to do a good job on one, than a bad job on two.

The power of getting your name (and thus a link to your blogger profile) out into the blog-o-sphere depends on people's curiosity. If they click through to see who you are,whether they see it in a linky, comment or as a follower, then they will find your blog on your profile. I am super curious so anytime someone comments or follows, that I haven't seen before, I always click through to check them and their blog out. I also check out people who have commented on other blogs that I read, if they have made a really profound comment. I've attracted most of my followers by simply getting my name out there.

Stay tuned for the next post on attracting blog traffic! I had intended to condense it all into one post, but as usual I rambled more then I intended, so this topic will be continued. As always, comment if you have any further thoughts on attracting traffic to your blog and let me know how you found SOI.

What I'm reading: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
What I'm listening to: New Orleans Christmas album
What I'm watching: too much Youtube! In particular, Paint



4 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a post of perfect timing! Our blogs been slowing slightly. I think it's also the season for less blogging, coming into Christmas and all. But it's good to hear other people's takes on blogging. I'd agree with every tip you said--that's how we've gotten as far as we have in the blogosphere. I've also found blogger profiles work--people with similar interests or favourite books. It's amazing how much you can connect with a person simply because you've read the same books... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely forgot about the way that you can click on books/interests that you like and see others who share them. That's another good way of finding new blogs.

      Delete
  2. Good tips! Many of which I learned as well, or was told by other bloggers. Keeping up in the blogging world is an important one I've found. It is a bit tricky when one has to balance life and writing and all of those other things - like sleeping and eating - but it is worth the effort. Not just to help promote, but I've also met many wonderful people through doing it.

    How are you liking Uglies? I read that book on a spur of the moment type thing and was surprised to find I actually rather enjoyed it. (Though, I only barely finished Pretties and never made it through Specials.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also found some great blogs and people by being active in the blog world, as well!

      How am I liking Uglies? Well, I'm enjoying it more or less. It's not as good as I remember it being, but it's not a forced read either (although it sort of is for bookclub). I'm rereading it and would give it about 3/5 stars from where I'm at, the half way point. See my re-rating on Goodreads for my final thoughts! I may even write a review...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...