Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Insecure Writer's Group: October 2012

For more info click here
I'm on a role! A post three days in row! Unfortunately though, I can't say the same for my story writing. Since school started up again about a month ago, time has been eaten up with homework and work and sleep and (let's be honest) watching random stuff online. Students (and adults) can relate to feeling like writing time is lacking in their lives. You start questioning whether or not writing is worth your precious time, or get discouraged over not writing anything for a few weeks.

Here's what has been helping me through those feelings. I've been participating in the 100 for 100 challenge which challenges the participants to write 100 words every day for 100 days (with a grace day each week). If you're interested in that, see my post here. It's such an easy goal to accomplish that keeps you at your work consistently and the real kicker is that you have to log your word count every week for everyone else to see (so you can't cheat!).

So my advice to you if you're having a hard time finding time is to set a small daily goal to accomplish and give yourself one grace day every week (but be sure to catch up and write double your goal another day). Don't worry that other people write x amount words a day, just worry about you. Only increase your small goal if you know you can do it. If you miss a day, well, kick that guilt to the curb and get back at it the next day.

Some days we will miss, but that's okay if we catch up. Getting over those guilty feelings can be hard, but it's necessary to keep moving forward with your story.

What I'm reading: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
What I'm listening to: "All I Want Is You" by Barry Louis Polisar
What I'm watching: Hawaii 5-0

4 comments:

  1. I am terrible at goal setting :( but with assignments keeping me occupied week after week, maybe its time I made the effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely encourage you to set goals, even if you don't achieve them right away. It's a good process to go through:)

      Delete
  2. I set myeslf a (probably ridiculous) goal for the holidays. 2,000 words each day. By my theory, by the time school starts, I should be so far into it, I won't be able to stop. That's the theory, anyway. Once school starts, I'll probably try my own 100 for... until I finish the book. Goals are good. I like goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 2000 words is a lot (for me at least). I admire your dedication. And yes, goals are good:P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...