Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Insecure Writer's Group: September 2012

It's time for another addition of The Insecure Writer's Group! If your new, you can read all about what this is here.

Today I wanted to address an insecurity that I've had and know that many other writers have had. For me, I am most confident with my plot and doubt myself when it comes to the actual stylistic elements. For example:

"Does this sentence sound right?"
"Is my description vivid?"
"Is this too dry?"

Although that stuff so SO important, what I'm finding makes a huge difference in my writing is tension management. I first heard that term over at Go Teen Writers (great blog btw) said by Marlo Schalesky. It was like a light bulb going off in my head.

I don't have to worry myself so much that it's hard to put a pen to paper over small things like sentence structure. The more nitty-gritty stuff can be edited later, but I do need to worry about tension in my scenes. Worrying about the pull between two characters (or some other force) in a scene is much more manageable than worrying about the small things that can be so overwhelming in the first draft. It really does produce better results and page turning content. This is a great post talking about tension and how to apply it.

So what am I trying to say? Forget about the small stuff -don't get held up on your insecurities- and focus on the big things like tension management when you're writing your first draft.


What I'm reading: Bitterblue by Kirstin Cashore and The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs

What I'm listening to: Owl City's All Things Bright And Beautiful

What I'm watching: Abby and Brittany

6 comments:

  1. Its always the smallest things that draw us in, sometimes we do need to step back and realise the bigger picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend says "you write your first edition with your heart, and your second with your head". Just write to make it feel like the story you want to have read (minus the nitty-gritty) and it should turn out great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way of putting it! I'll have to remember that one.

      Delete
  3. I have the same worry! I've had to force myself to look at the whole book, because otherwise I'd end up with a great first few chapters and the rest sucking majorly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if only our steam lasted throughout the whole draft:P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...