Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Second Hand Books and a Partially Empty Bookcase

Today was a thrift store day.

Honestly, I wasn't even thinking of books when I went into the goodwill store (shame on me!) but I eventually gravitated to the bookshelves at the back of the store. I think one of my bosses at the library would have had a heart attack if she saw the state of those book shelves. Books were piled every which way like someone had come along and dumped them onto the shelf with a tractor.

So why was I looking for books (besides the reason that they're books)? Well I've had a little shelf evolution. I went from one over stuffed shelf to one big one and three little ones that I got from Canadian Tire. As you can see in the third picture one of the shelves still has some space that needs to be filled up, so I've been hunting around for second hand books to put there.


Back to the thrift store.
They had it set up so that the children and YA books were all mixed in together. I cringed slightly at having to hunker down and really sift through them, but I did it for the sake of my bookshelves. So there I was squeezed in between two seven year olds one looking at Hannah Montana books and the other looking at Wild and Wacky Science. Needless to say, I'm sure that I looked comical, but I did come across some interesting finds:
-Artemis Fowl 2 and 3 by Eoin Colfer. I got a little bit excited when I saw the Artemis Fowl name across the spine, but at a closer look it was the ones I already had. I've been trying to collect this series second hand and so far I've got 1, 2, 3 and a french copy. I bought the french one accidentally at the library's book sale and oh was I ticked with myself once I got in the car and saw the french writing. Anyways, I didn't get those because they were repeats.
-Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn. I read some of them a long time ago, but I didn't remember liking them enough to buy, so I passed over those.
-Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. It sounded mildly interesting, but it was the second in the series and I really didn't want to pay for it. It was in really good condition which is why I picked it up, but I figured that I really didn't need it. I might get it from the library. Have you read it? Is it good?

What I did get:
-Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. I seem to recall reading this a long time ago and when searching it on Goodreads I had rated it 3/5. I'll read it again and see what I think. An interesting side note: this book had an inscription in it. It said "Merry Christmas 2002 Jessica. Love Uncle Neil and Auntie Sandra". It's kind of fun getting a book with an inscription in it; it's like it has a story to it.

Then of course there was a shelf dedicated to the Harlequins, ever faithful to any second hand store. With a chuckle to myself, I moved on. I didn't buy any smut; I do have SOME standards. Next was non-fiction. Normally I would bypass it all together, but ever since I started working at the library I've been exposed to more non-fiction and have started to enjoy it more.

There was the usual (self help, cookbooks, a few Bibles etc.) and then there were the ones I ended up getting:
-Author and Grow Rich: How to write a money-making book in only 12 hours! by Glen Dietzel. I just noticed that the subtitle in that picture and on my book are different. Anyways after having a good laugh over the title that basically went against what many people say about writing (you shouldn't write to get rich and it shouldn't be a snap process) I bought it. Somewhere in there must be something helpful!

-The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. I've heard good things and it looks like an easy, substantial read, so I picked this one up as well.

Overall it was a good book day. I think I got all these books in good shape for ten dollars including tax. My only bit of advice is if you're looking for second hand books take your time to look through the stacks, flip through the pages to make sure there's no marks/damage, and keep checking back! You never know when something new will show up.

Do you have any good second hand book finds?

What I'm Reading: Graceling by Kirstin Cashore and Anishnaabe World by Roger Speilmann
What I'm listening to: One Direction ("The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed!")
What I'm Watching: Suits and the Olympics

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love second hand books. Best ever. We got a brand new copy of Inkheart at a second hand shop for only three dollars or something. Which is pretty good... the joys of second hand! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo! That sounds like a good find. I really enjoy Inkheart as well:)

      Delete
  2. Thrift stores are like going on treasure hunts. Once I found a love letter in between the pages of Carrie by Stephen King!?!? I know, right.

    Your site is amazing. And I love the orange walls in your room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's too funny! I would expect a love letter in something more like a harlequin or Danielle Steel! The only things I've ever found in books are bookmarks and once a postcard from India.

      Thanks for the compliments about my room and blog:) I'm glad you liked the room colour because I was thinking of changing it out! Maybe it can hang around a little longer...

      Delete
  3. I enjoy the second hand stores for suspense novels, but our one and only is really light on fantasy. Love your shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Surprisingly they were pretty cheap (for shelves at least)at Canadian Tire. The small ones were 17$ on sale!!

      You only have one thrift store? That would suck.It probably has a lot of stuff in it, though.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...