Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Insecure Writer's Group: August 2012

Today's insecurity is scene structure. You may or may not have seen my last post, but I discussed the structure of a scene. I was feeling pretty good about scene structure after taking apart that scene from Harry Potter and seeing how it fit in the scene structure pattern. That feeling was dampened though when I started writing. I started to realize that I wasn't really following the structure that I had so diligently researched. So that's my insecurity, that I will never get scene structure right. I know in my head that it will just take practice, but it's still an insecurity of the moment. And to finish this post off, a little inspiring quote:


"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
~Henry Van Dyke


What I'm reading: Graceling by Kirstin Cashore
What I'm listening to: The Weepies
What I'm watching: Alphas and the Olympics

8 comments:

  1. Scene structure? What's that? ;) Sometimes it helps to just write it out and worry about the structure of it later. Listen to your writing instincts. I'm gonna share a secret. I failed high school English ALL. Four. Years. BUT! I'm a darn good writer. Go figure. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it difficult trying to shape a story into an imposed structure, I end up over thinking every line and it never quite flows the way I want, its always missing something... Write the way you feel is best, thats what makes it your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! That's my struggle right now, between just writing what I want/feels good and writing "right". Your advice sounds pretty good though. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I have a lot of trouble with "scenes", too. They're missing something. What, I'm not 100% sure. My biggest insecurity would have to be my description. I can do a long, flowery one, but I had reading that. And then when I try to make it consise, it's too short, and I don't have enough. Sigh. Oh well, it all comes with practise. :)

    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter if not all your scenes followed a structure. I mean, after all, we need to have difference... if everyone followed the same writing patterns, that wouldn't be much fun. But then, I should really think about structuring my scenes. That would probably help. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's good to know the structure and keep it in mind when planning a scene, but not necessarily adhere to it all the time. However if you're struggling then structure would probably be a good place to start:)

      Also, you've got it right "...it all comes with practise."

      Delete
  4. Plotting and scene structure is something I've been (finally) digging into, too. Some of it comes naturally for me, but the rest is WORK. LOL Hang in there. ;)

    IWSG #179 (At least until Alex culls the list again. :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! It's always nice to hear someone's going through the same thing:)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...