Thursday, July 5, 2012

Insecure Writer's Group: July 2012

I've finally taken the plunge and started that new story that I alluded to back in the May Insecure Writer's Group post. This project feels different to me and to my reading partner.

As a sidenote: I know most people say that you shouldn't show your first draft to anyone until it's completely finished, but I've never waited. I always write up a few pages then send them to Kote. Maybe, I'll write a post about that another time.

ANYWAYS! I'm more excited/inspired to work on this project and have been scribbling away at it in my writer's journal over the past week. However, I have this feeling that the excitement will slowly fade away and I'll be stuck in another rut like with my last unfinished story. I know that I've said before to keep at a draft until it's done, but I decided that I wouldn't follow my advice this time. When writing isn't joyful anymore then something needs to change, so I changed it. So what am I insecure about this month? Well, the general things that come along with writing a new story (is it worth it, is it a good idea etc. etc.) and the decision to start something new with something else unfinished.

What eases me:
-I've decided to keep old characters and rework them into the new plot idea
-I'm writing more of what I know

So right now, I'm doing pretty good. I'm on a new story high! How about everyone else? What are your current insecurities or "highs"?

What I'm reading: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
What I'm listening to: Coldplay
What I'm watching: Still stuck on Rookie Blue (and waiting for White Collar and Cover Affairs!)

12 comments:

  1. I'm doing a first draft at the moment. Which is very unsecuring, because I'm a "no-outline-works-best" type writer. And most of the time I have to work out what happens in each chapter. -_- That's probably my biggest insecurity. And the fact that first drafts have to be rewritten... that's always depressing. And very true. Sigh. But I'm enjoying writng at the moment, so it's all worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rewrites can be daunting; I tend to avoid them like the plaque. I'm glad you are enjoying your writing. It's really the best feeling.

      As for writing by the seat of your pants, good luck! I would recommend you at least know where you want to end up:)

      All the best!

      Delete
  2. If you're excited and writing, that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am familiar with that rut you find yourself in when the excitement wears off, when it's difficult to put yourself back in that world and am glad your powering through.

    Also saw a couple of eps of rookie blue last night wasn't bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I have a weakness for drama (even if it can be slightly lame at times). And Swarek, *sigh, fangirl moment* I just love his character!

      Delete
  4. You know, sometimes putting the same characters into a new story helps a lot. I have done it several times over until I find a story that fits. There are times when I hit that rut as well, but if I walk away from it and move on to something completely different, I suddenly find the key that unlocks me from that rut. Sometimes, you hit a writing wall for a reason. There are ways around it, but there a times when you have to let your subconscious do the work for you. Nice to meet you through the IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too! It's good to know that it isn't too weird to recycle characters. I just find myself thinking "Haven't I done this before?" sometimes, haha.

      Delete
  5. I honestly wish I was on a new story high. Unfortunately, I'm on more of a will-these-darn-revisions-never-be-done low. New story highs are nice, but rarely tide you through the months and months that getting the book into publishable shape takes.
    I'm glad you're enjoying your high. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got that right! Pretty soon I'll need to take a dose of good ol' discipline when my high wears off. Hope your revisions go quickly and painlessly:P

      Delete
  6. Happy IWSG. I just discovered how to use Pinterest to create an image board for my new WIP. I'm not usually so late catching on to something helpful, but it's been one of those years. Anyhoo, I understand your new story high. Notice how they generally come after a low point? That's why it's so important as authors we never look back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't feel too bad, because I'm just catching onto Pinterest as well. I barely even know what it is, let alone use it! I love finding resources online though.

      "Never look back." Great tip to apply to this.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...