Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Insecure Writer's Group: March 2012


This is my Insecure Writer's Support Group post for March. Find out more about it here.

Lately, surprisingly enough, I haven't been feeling that insecure! Saying that will probably jinx it, but I'm going to ride this wave as long as it lasts. Anyways, onto what I want to say. I am a firm believer in this phrase:

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Yes, it's a mouthful, but when you think about it's so true. So what have I been doing differently? Well, I've been using my 15 minute break at work to get on the computer and madly write.

At home 15 minutes looks something like this:













However, at work it's a completely different process. I think it's because I feel the pressure of the time limit and force myself to write out whatever comes to mind, so I don't go home empty handed and with a wasted break. Another reason, I think its been working is because I've been emailing the sections that I write to myself, and then copying and pasting them into a Word doc.
It's freeing to not write directly into the Word doc, because I can convince myself that if I write crap then I don't have to put it into the draft. That mindset helps me get words on the page, and we all know that you can't edit when there is no words on the page.

So there is my little insight for the Insecure Writer's Group. It's not much, but it's something that's been hanging around in my mind the past few weeks.

Happy March everyone! May March Break come quick and the snow leave soon!

P.S. It's early because I have to work tomorrow night, and I got my days mixed up, but we'll go with work, tehe.

5 comments:

  1. That's a great way to use otherwise wasted time. And I like the idea of emailing work to yourself. It's almost like you're telling your story to another person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree, I find trying to force words onto a document dosent result in alot of anything, but if I just start scribbling on a notepad and type it up later it evolves into something more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Michelle and Alice,
    Thanks!

    @Annalisa
    I never thought about my emails like telling the story to myself! I just thought of it as my free memory stick. Tehe, great thought:)

    @sjp
    Agreed! And, I love your profile picture.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...