Thursday, January 12, 2012

A thought...


I recently discovered Writer's Digest. In one of the issues I was reading, an author, Sherman Alexie, gave ten pieces of advice that I thought I'd pass along to you.

DISCLAIMER: this is not my work, but a section from the Sept. 2010 issue.

Anyways, here it is!

10. Don't Google yourself
9. When you're finished Googling yourself don't do it again
8. Every word on your blog is a word not in your book.
7. Don't have any writing ceremonies. They're just a way to stop you from writing.
6. Turn your readings into evvents. Perform and write with equal passion.
5. Read 1 000 pages for every one you write.
4. In fiction, research is overrated. But that means readers will write [to] you correcting all of your minor biographical, geographical, and historical errors. If you like make those corrections in the paperback, but don't sweet it too much.
3. Don't lose the sense of awe you feel whenever you meet one of your favourite writers. However, don't confuse any writer's talent with his or her worth as a human being. Those two qualities are not necessarily related.
2. Subscribe to as many literary journals as you can afford.
1. When you read a piece of writing that you admire, send a note of thanks to the author. Be effusive with your praise. Writing is a lonely business. Do your best to make it a little less lonely.

His list just gave me a few things to think about, so I thought I would relay it to everyone else for there thoughts. So with that, feel free to comment about your opinions of his advice.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing darling. Quite some advice there.

    Let me seep into this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this is a great writing source. When you get a chance go check out the award you won on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Hazel,
    Thanks for visiting the blog and for your encouraging comment!

    @K.D. Storm,
    Thanks for the award! That's so kind of you:)I'm on my way now...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...