Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Insecure Writer's Group: Jan. 2012


Recently, I joined up on Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog hop entitled The Insecure Writer's Group. Here's a direct quote from the host blog that explains it better than I could:

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

I'm a little bit nervous about writing my first post for this particular group, but I figured that I would just jump right into it. Cut me some slack if I ramble (more so then usual!).

Something I've been challenged with my whole (short) writing life is sharing work. I'm fairly confident about what I write, probably because I usually don't let other people see it (except you Kote!) until it's polished off. However, that being said, I'm not afraid (mostly) of what people think of my writing, I just hate the idea of people knowing I write.

I'm not ashamed of what I write or that I'm a writer.

I've thought quite a bit about why I hesitate to tell people that I write, and I believe I've come up with the answer. The primary reason would probably be that I don't want the pressure. As soon as people know that you enjoy something, they expect you to produce. They aren't necessarily mean or demanding about it, but they do expect it. For example, ever since members of my youth group (I love them dearly) found out how much I enjoyed writing, I get called on quite often to write various things. Having people expect written work from me isn't a bad thing really; having some accountability is healthy. The problem I have with this sort of pressure is that people who don't write don't always understand the way writing works. They often expect me to whip out quality work with the ease of pulling a pair of pants on. Often, they expect more from me than I do! They don't realize the hours that go into the first draft, revisions, and the wash rinse and repeating it requires. They aren't the bad guys, they just don't understand unless they've done it before.

After rereading that paragraph, the way I feel seems kind of silly and a little bit selfish. Being known as a writer is a hurdle I will have to jump eventually and really truly isn't that awful. The next steps for me in regards to dealing with the title of writer would be communicating to people that I am still learning, I am certainly not a literary master, and I am happy to help with the skills I do have.

So that's it, my first Insecure Writer's Support Group post. I'm not sure if I did it right or not, so let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I'm not part of the writer's support group myself, so I can't tell you if this post is "right" or not. Still, for me, you've summed up a lot of the thoughts that I've had over the years. I really appreciate your honesty, and I think these struggles are something that basically all writers face at one time or another.

    Personally, I enjoy sharing my writing--to an extent. When I'm among other writers, people I've written with and people who know what it's like to write, than I feel fairly comfortable sharing. Yet with my family and/or random strangers? Well, it becomes a lot more difficult. One of the harder things I did last year was to email my family's mailing list of 800 people and ask them to vote for a poem I'd written (a poem, in fact, that I didn't like too much in the first place).

    So, all that to say, thanks again for the post! It's good to know I'm not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Sienna,
    Thanks so much for the well thought out response. It's always good to hear reactions from another person out there in cyberspace. And yes, I have to agree with you, it's good to know I'm not alone:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of those that is part of the group and I can say you did it outstanding. I also understand what you speak of as far as the fact that people think you can write on demand within minutes. I use to have that problem at a job I worked at. Actually because they thought I wrote they figured I could draw as well and had to have pretty penmenship (I don't). I look forward to reading more of you work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ K.D. Storm,
    Haha, I think you had it worse than I did! Glad to see that I did the post well. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...