Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Word Wednesday Dec. 21/11

This week I wanted to just offer a quick tidbit about a word you should avoid using. I've been writing and proofreading essays for the past couple of weeks and my biggest complaint is the use of the word "thing". The word "thing" doesn't help me understand anything. For example:

Her father loved her more than all of his things.

This does tell me that her father loved her, but isn't it much more convincing when you tell me what those "things" are? For example:

Her father loved her more than all of his antique books, his job, his electronics, and all of his precious stones.

Sometimes it's harder to replace than that, but I encourage you to avoid using the word "thing" when writing. There is always a better way to describe an idea or object (I was about to say "something" instead of idea or object!) than using the word "thing".

Hope that helps and have a Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, good one! I have the same pet peeve!

    I found you via Alex Cavanaigh's Insecure Writer's Support Group and I a new follower. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Nancy
    Thanks so much for the comment and follow! My Insecure Writer's Support Group post is currently in the works:P I'll be sure to hope over to your blog:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...