Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Word Wednesday July 20/11

Guess what? I remembered to do Word Wednesday this week! Lately I've slacked off a bit in this regard, but never fear it's back! I'm also wondering what everybody's thoughts are on WW. Should I keep on doing definitions, or should I also include other interesting facts to do with words (word history, usage etc.)? Maybe I'm being nerdy, but I personally find that sort of trivia interesting. Maybe I'm not the only one? Haha, let me know your thoughts in a comment, or vote in the pole.

Anyways! Onto the words...


Frequent
[ free-kwuhnt]
adj.

1.
happening or occurring at short intervals: to make frequent trips to Tokyo.
2.
constant, habitual, or regular: a frequent guest.
3.
located at short distances apart: frequent towns along the shore.

Redundant
[ri-duhn-duhnt]
adj.

1.
characterized by verbosity or unnecessary repetition in expressing ideas; prolix: a redundant style.
2.
being in excess; exceeding what is usual or natural: a redundant part.
3.
having some unusual or extra part or feature.

Supercilious
[soop-er-sil-ee-uhs]
adj.

1.
displaying arrogant pride, scorn, or indifference.




All definitions compliments of Dictionary.com



2 comments:

  1. Any time I see the word "supercilious," I think of Dustfinger from *Inkheart*. Thanks for showing its pronunciation -- I always slaughter it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jenna
    Haha, Dustfinger's an awesome character! Anyone who deals with fire (that's fictional!), yes please!

    For some reason I always think of Lex Luthor from Smallville when I use "supercilious".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...