Friday, June 24, 2011

Summer Story Starters

It's the beginning of summer, at least for me, and I'm hopping back into the blog world after finishing up my last exams. I don't know about you, but summer always seems to hold some sort of "newness", if you will, to it for me. It's that time of the year when you say "I'm going to try something new!","I'm going to finish my story!", "I'm going to write everyday!" etc etc you get the point. It's a bit like New Years resolutions, but that's not the point, and I'm starting to ramble. The point of this post is to offer you some story starters, because like I said summer's the time for new projects and commitments!

So the first starter is a dialogue. Take these snippets of dialogue and form a scene around it, and maybe it will lead to a story idea! I left all punctuation off, so you can add that yourself.

"I didn't think you were coming"
"Give it to me"
"Wait"
"Leave me alone"

See what you can create from that, and feel free to share what you come up with in the comments section!

The next starter is a few words that you can take and form into a story.

Cake
Superheros
Willow trees
Grandfather Clocks


The next starter is a "finish the sentence and see where it goes.

The man stood with dignity, as...


The last starter is more of a question that you can write a story about.

What would happen if we all had to record everything we did in a day? Everything we thought about?


There they are! You don't have to stick to exactly what I suggested, because what would be the fun in that? These starters are meant to inspire a story, or a new scene in the story you're writing. Overall, it doesn't really matter how or even if you use them, as long as it gets the cogs in your writer's brain spinning! Have an excellent summer filled with literary accomplishments!

P.S. Check out the Helpful Links page where there a few links to sites that have more story starters on them!

P.P.S Feel free to comment with ideas that you came up with!

1 comment:

  1. Destiny DiddlesworthJune 24, 2011 at 10:22 PM

    I thought of a cool sort of sentence: "I didn't think you were coming", I said as my friend _____ came out from the willow trees...

    Just random, but yah! ;P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...