Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Burst of Inspiration!

Inspiration.

That thing, an indescribable emotion that fills a writer with feeling and zest, making them want to rush home to their blog or story. That's how I'm feeling right now. I have to admit that at least 50% of my writing is on inspiration, and the other half is driven on pure I-know-I-have-to-do-this-even-though-I-don't-really-feel-like-it juice. I think most writers can agree that it is much nicer to write when you're inspired. Although, surprisingly enough, the quality of a writer's work doesn't really change a whole lot from when they're inspired, and when they're forcing the words on the page. Now, that obviously isn't a sure fire thing, but it's the general trend I've notice among my work, and others' that I've read. Anyways, as I've said it's much nicer to really want to write when you sit down to work, so I've complied a list of the things that inspire me the most to give you some ideas. Hopefully you'll find some inspiration in these activities:

  • Music: Some songs just evoke such a strong emotion in me that I can't help but want to pour it out somewhere. Being the lover of music I am, this is a key aspect to my work. An example of what's inspiring me currently: Death Cab for Cutie "I Will Follow You Into the Dark", Switchfoot "Your Love is a Song"
  • Movies/T.V.: The other day I watched BBC's "Victoria and Albert," and "The Young Victoria", and those movies made me want to explore monarchy and gender roles in my stories. Also, the emotion between Victoria and Albert was touching. Watch movies/tv shows that have to do with your current story, or blog topic. For example, if you're writing a sword fight, than go watch "Pirates of the Caribbean" or "The Princess Bride"
  • Friends: Sometimes bouncing ideas off of your friends is the best way to find inspirations. Who knows, they might have a fountain of ideas stored away! I've certainly gotten some good ideas from the most unlikely friends
  • Listen: This sort of goes with the previous idea, but this time you just simply keep quiet and let conversations take their path. Listen to how people talk, what they talk about, and how they react to things. Don't be creepy about it, but just be quiet when people around you are talking, and listen. I've gotten some good speech patterns, and witty quotes from people that inspire scenes. I remember this one time when I was just sitting in the church office, and the pastor in charge of 50+ (a seniors' group) was commenting on a type of singer they were thinking of having for 50+. He said "Been there, done that, never want to do it again" I just thought it was the funniest thing, so I filed it away and used it in my story
  • Read!: What better way to be inspired than to see someone exceeding at something you're trying to do? Whether it's my favourite novel, or a blog, I always find reading it inspiring. I tend to look at the work, and say "That's where I want to be," and that renews some of my passion, because I can see my goal again.
That's my short list of things that inspire me! Feel free to share in the comments section things that inspire you. Now, I leave you with a particularly inspiring picture/quote.

4 comments:

  1. Destiny DiddlesworthApril 18, 2011 at 4:39 PM

    Good post Sunn-ay!(: Love the advice!(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say another good swordfighting (or axe or bow fighting) movie would be the Lord of the Rings. EPIC MOVIES, PEOPLE! X) And, simply thinking about a story I want to write can inspire me. Especially if I figure out how to get past a point where I was stuck, or have a really good idea for later on or something in someone's backstory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Destiny
    Thanks!

    @Dakota
    Spoken like a true fantasy writer! Some good points also:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what else inspires me? Rain. Pounding on the roof, and add some thunder. Ahhh it's heaven:P

    It's raining right now, btw

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...